DIY Light Fixtures?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

RadicalReef

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello! I got Robert Fenner's book, and I'm reading it, but haven't gotten far yet as I just got it. I really think that I want a reef with fish saltwater tank when I get one, I just love the reef and I love the fish! I've heard a little bit about DIY Lighting Fixutres. Can you make lighting fixtures sufficient for MHs and VHOs? Does anyone know of any good instructions on this? Does anyone know the approximate cost of doing this, and is it usually worth it to build them, or do they not last as long or have any drawbacks if you make them yourself? Thanks for the help! :D

RadicalReef

diy mh sets use the same parts as a complete set-up. You have to build your own canopy and buy the ballasts, sockets, and bulbs from a retailer. You can either build your own reflectors or buy them too. It will cut your costs buy half or more depending on which brand you compare them to. You'll probably need to get cooling fans and these can be bought at radio shack(computer fans 3 or 4").

Back
Top Bottom