diy light stand

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

krap101

Aquarium Advice Addict
okay i got this new light and it gets too hot. so i want to prop it up but i dont want to spend the shipping to get it. id spend the 12$ if there wasnt any shipping... is there any way to diy it?

build a stand out of 1x2 poplar from home depot. i believe it is $0.59 a foot if you get it in bulk length.

~mike

err.. im getting a rotozip so i can cut it like that. my mom doesnt think those circular saws or whatever are safe

a rotozip is no safer than a circular saw. if you were going to use anything, i would suggest a dremel. if you have a harbor tool and frieght around your area, you can get a cheap 12v model for less than 10bucks and it should include everything you would need to cut a 1x2.

i would still say a power saw is overkill for cutting a 1x2 though. hacksaw or even a hand mitering saw would be more than enough.

How old are you?
The rotozip will cut it, but a $3 hacksaw would cut it as well.. not as versital as the rotozip though.. it kindof suprises me that she thinks the rotozip is safe and the circular saw isnt.. the circular saw has 3 redundant safety mechanisms designed into it to make it safer... I think safety is a matter of the user.. people make tools unsafe in my opinion..

oh.. lol she doesnt want to get the thing. and i thought that rotozips were safer.

im 14 :)

well she said she wont get the rtozip unless it stays low. its at 1.00 right now

If your not confident in your ability to use a tool then I would say that is what makes it unsafe..JMO though.. I think the rotozip and the circular saw are equaly as safe..

the only bad thing ive heard for safty is the way the on/off button is. since you pull out and it could stay on.

in my mind, a rotozip is by far more dangerous than a circular saw. during the cutting process of wood it can behave in unpredictable ways, bouncing around, snapping bits, etc. its not something a novice, or teen should play with unsupervised. just my 2 cents.

okay i was just thinking about having it around the house. but it did look kinda hard

A circular saw has a safety switch at the trigger that must be pushed to be able to pull the trigger to get the start the saw then there is a blade guard that covers the blade when it isnt cutting into the wood.. I dont have any experiance with a rotozip but It doesnt look like would hold itself steady through the work...it would be a matter of forcing the thing to cut strait..

out of the box, the rotozip has no attachments to hold it steady/straight when cutting (at least there wasn't when i bought one) i do believe there are additional upgrades they sell that do hold it steady. but it is for the most part an unpredictable tool, i have used mine to cut wood, and from time to time it will bounce and jump, bits will snap from normal wear/tear that can fly at you, and if you don't push the rotozip fast enough through the wood it can either start burning the wood, or splitting and chipping as it cuts.

if you are not allowed/uncomfortable using power saws.... dont. people get hurt when they dont know what they are doing and when they dont feel comfortable using power tools.

you can get a very nice cut using a miter box and a miter saw.
home depot sku 121465 or 972442

they will allow you to make straight cuts, and there is no chance for the power to be left on 8). if you have access to a cordless drill, you can easily attach the wood together at the joints.

i would not use a roto-zip for the reasons listed in JProx's post. they are simply not that good at making precise straight cuts.

one other option is to have someone build it for you. if you wanted, im sure i could make one up in no time, and send you the parts to put it togehter. all i would need are the measurements of the tank top and the measurements of the light bottom.

greenmagi said:
If your not confident in your ability to use a tool then I would say that is what makes it unsafe..

Yes, I do agree.. and happened to mention it earlier.. LOL

the box mitre saw is a great idea by the way! :D

Back
Top Bottom