Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > DIY Projects
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 05-11-2011, 11:05 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

DIY Lighthood venture?? i think so!

so i was sitting around yesterday and happened to have my 24" black light sitting near my tank...after showing the old lady the effects of blacklight on the Glofish, i decided to turn my single tube 36" hood into a custom dual hood. Please, before commenting, please keep in mind that this was done with nothing but parts/tools laying around the house and i know that it need somes extra final touches, but for pretty much free... i now have a dual light setup!!. so i will post some pics of the build process and give as much info as possible. If you have any questions or comments, please do tell enjoy!

Old 05-11-2011, 11:17 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Did you leave the black light bulb in? Get some glofish and let the light show begin :P. Definitely pics with the thread please.

Got my light conversion kit done and it looks great on the tank. But until the app is back, or I can figure away around the funky frames on the website, no pics .

Old 05-11-2011, 11:35 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

top one is my actual light hood, bottom is my 24" black light after i got it opened up.
Old 05-11-2011, 11:37 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

removed all the hardware from my lighthood and successfully got the blacklight installed!!
Old 05-11-2011, 11:38 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

top right is the ballast and directly below is the starter.

starting to cut the white reflective plastic for my 50/50 light.
Old 05-11-2011, 11:41 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

pic showing the switch, ballast, and starter for 36" 50/50 light

hard to tell ( and pic is upside down ) but both bulbs installed and on.
obviously the 50/50 light drowns out the blacklight but when running seperate, looks decent.
Old 05-12-2011, 12:21 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

attempted to get a night shot of the blacklight tank only but my 5 year old bulb just decided to give up one of its metal endcaps.... will post in roughly 10 days, will be out of town.
Old 05-12-2011, 03:44 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice FINatic

you know they sell black light bulbs you could have just put that instead of doing all that work.
Old 05-12-2011, 02:42 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Yeah I could have done that...but I didn't spend a single penny on this project and.it gives me the best of both worlds. A 50/50 light for daytime showing and a secondary light for night/ show use. I had a blacklight in there but it broke, so im gonna look into geting an actinic light to show offmy boorish at night. Only question I have is which would be brighter in terms of glofish?? The blacklight or the blue actinic light?
Old 05-12-2011, 02:53 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by negligent_inmate View Post
Yeah I could have done that...but I didn't spend a single penny on this project and.it gives me the best of both worlds. A 50/50 light for daytime showing and a secondary light for night/ show use. I had a blacklight in there but it broke, so im gonna look into geting an actinic light to show offmy boorish at night. Only question I have is which would be brighter in terms of glofish?? The blacklight or the blue actinic light?
The actinic isn't going to work like a black light and make them glow florescent. You could put a actinic in the tube part and get a clip-on light fixture and put a screw in black light bulb in there.

Tags
diy, diy light, light

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com