DIY Lighting- Adding a T8 (20 gal)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

gmt980

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hey guys! After getting some plants like Java Fern, i decided that the 15w T8 light in my 20 gallon high just isnt gunna be enough to get the growth that i wanted out of my plants. I didnt have the type of money for an expensive T5HO lighting system, but i think i found a great DIY way to double the light in my tank.

Since it is halloween, my family was getting out their decorations and i found they had an old black light:Creative Motion 18" Black Light Tower Light (15 Watts)

This light is perfect! It is the exact same set-up as i have in my hood now: 18" 15w T8 system. So, after is took it apart, i found the wiring to be very similar. I took some pics of me trying to put it in my hood. i looks like i will have to lengthen some wires and cut the white insert in my hood, but i should be able to get it to work. The ballasts will fit on each side of the hood, so i should just have all lights in the middle!

img_1169766_0_4020a4ffbf23307afba72d09b46c9a89.jpg

img_1169766_1_d0168aa1abd5319048fa3fc0e545ab80.jpg

What do you guys think? Will it get too hot? If this all works, my entire cost will have just been the new bulb, which cost $16. Im pretty excited!

Should work.

Is the white part all you have for a reflector above the bulbs? If so, try to minimize the cutting so you get as much reflective effect as you can.

Should work.

Is the white part all you have for a reflector above the bulbs? If so, try to minimize the cutting so you get as much reflective effect as you can.

Yea i also have this chrome reflector that the black light kit came with so the parts i cut off will be replaced with that.

no love huh? I thot this was a pretty slick Diy job if i do say so myself. I just drilled some holes and cut some wires and walaaa

Well done. the only question I have is why $16 for the tube? You should be able to get a Sunshine or Daylight tube at HD or some other store for around $5.

Well done. the only question I have is why $16 for the tube? You should be able to get a Sunshine or Daylight tube at HD or some other store for around $5.

well i went to home depot and looked for a tube, but they didnt have the right light spectrum, so i just got a flora sun from petsmart

wow! this set-up is a great idea! i've been researching alot recently how to get better bulbs in my 20gallon tall tank but can't even find a a strip that fits and holds bulbs better than 18" t8 15W. my plants are surviving right now but i would love to see them flourish! how has the double light fixture been going so far? i may be attempting to follow your brilliance within the next couple days if i can find the supplies...

wow! this set-up is a great idea! i've been researching alot recently how to get better bulbs in my 20gallon tall tank but can't even find a a strip that fits and holds bulbs better than 18" t8 15W. my plants are surviving right now but i would love to see them flourish! how has the double light fixture been going so far? i may be attempting to follow your brilliance within the next couple days if i can find the supplies...

well the lights are working great. Right now i just have 2 java fern in the tank and they dont seem to be growing much sadly. IDK im new at this whole planted tank thing and havent spent much time or money on it. Hopefully over winter break i can find some time to make the tank a nice planted.

Back
Top Bottom