Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > DIY Projects
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-26-2010, 03:48 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

DIY Lighting- Adding a T8 (20 gal)

Hey guys! After getting some plants like Java Fern, i decided that the 15w T8 light in my 20 gallon high just isnt gunna be enough to get the growth that i wanted out of my plants. I didnt have the type of money for an expensive T5HO lighting system, but i think i found a great DIY way to double the light in my tank.

Since it is halloween, my family was getting out their decorations and i found they had an old black light:Creative Motion 18" Black Light Tower Light (15 Watts)

This light is perfect! It is the exact same set-up as i have in my hood now: 18" 15w T8 system. So, after is took it apart, i found the wiring to be very similar. I took some pics of me trying to put it in my hood. i looks like i will have to lengthen some wires and cut the white insert in my hood, but i should be able to get it to work. The ballasts will fit on each side of the hood, so i should just have all lights in the middle!

What do you guys think? Will it get too hot? If this all works, my entire cost will have just been the new bulb, which cost $16. Im pretty excited!

Old 10-26-2010, 09:16 AM   #2
Sliced Bread

Should work.

Is the white part all you have for a reflector above the bulbs? If so, try to minimize the cutting so you get as much reflective effect as you can.

Old 10-26-2010, 01:34 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by neilanh View Post
Should work.

Is the white part all you have for a reflector above the bulbs? If so, try to minimize the cutting so you get as much reflective effect as you can.
Yea i also have this chrome reflector that the black light kit came with so the parts i cut off will be replaced with that.
Old 10-30-2010, 08:55 PM   #4

Finished it!!

Old 11-01-2010, 03:43 AM   #5

no love huh? I thot this was a pretty slick Diy job if i do say so myself. I just drilled some holes and cut some wires and walaaa
Old 11-01-2010, 11:10 AM   #6
AA Team Emeritus

Well done. the only question I have is why $16 for the tube? You should be able to get a Sunshine or Daylight tube at HD or some other store for around $5.
Old 11-01-2010, 01:54 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillD View Post
Well done. the only question I have is why $16 for the tube? You should be able to get a Sunshine or Daylight tube at HD or some other store for around $5.
well i went to home depot and looked for a tube, but they didnt have the right light spectrum, so i just got a flora sun from petsmart
Old 11-01-2010, 02:04 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

nice job. should be able to grow more plants with that now.
Old 11-01-2010, 02:36 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by FishEggs View Post
nice job. should be able to grow more plants with that now.
thank you! and i really hope so.

1.5 wpg isnt so bad
Old 11-01-2010, 07:56 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

i have a total of 60w t12/t8 over my 75gal right now and i'm growing plants in it.

Tags
20 gallon, diy, diy light, light, lighting

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com