DIY Lighting Questions (Re: construction materials)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Spoon

Aquarium Advice Regular
I realize there are a ton of posts on DIY lighting but I have some questions that I haven't found answers to.

I was wondering what people use for actually constructing the hood...Stuff like wood type, paint/finish, tools, etc.

I have a 33 long which is about 48 inches wide and I would like to build a canopy that would allow me to feed without removing the hood. ANy suggestions?

Also, it's going to be an unplanted Cichlid tank, so I only need light for fish viewing.

I use "architectural grade" pine boards for my smaller light fixtures (like those going on a 10 gallon tank)

for larger fixtures, I use plywood, usually birch veneer.

if I bother to paint, i've got Rustoleum "arts and crafts" indoor/outdoor latex in semigloss black and highgloss white

tools; hand saw + mitre box, mitre saw, circular saw, drill, screwdriver, framing square, angle iron, clamps and a recent addition of a small table saw

for your needs, I'd build a canopy that is split 60 / 40 and the front 40 is hinged to fold up and over the back 60, allowing for feeding and simple maintenence. you can buy a cheap under-cabinet light and mount them to the "back half" of the canopy... a pair of 15 watt lights should work well for a fish only tank :)

HTH

Excellent!

Thanks for the info. I currently have a 36" strip "mounted" on top of my tank. I have to put this one on hold until I build a stand for a new 65 gallon tank. The current setup works fine but I think I will build something respectable in a couple of weeks. I recently discovered Aisle 18 in my local Lowes which contains all of the smaller project-like cuts of wood. Stuff like 1 by 6, smaller pieces of plywood, etc. Pretty much everything that isn't construction grade studs and 8 foot sheets of plywood. Aisle 18 makes me very optimistic!

I really need to get my hands ona mitre saw or a table saw. I think that would make it much easier to get straight cuts than using a circular saw...

Thanks again for the info justDIY.

Table saw! alright that will make things a lot easier.

I try to figure out my needed sizes and get the HomeDepot guys to cut as much as possible.
For hoods and most other stuff I prefer 1/2 inch one good side ply. Or 3/8 but that is starting to get floppy in longer pieces.

Finishing/painting, ya, I keep meaning to do that.

Table saw? Sears is having a pretty good tool sale right now. I'm thinking you can get a pretty decent tabletop model 10" table saw for less than $150. Might want to check them out.

I made my first hoods with a jig saw and a drill. :) Now that was fun trying to cut stright with a hand held jigsaw.

When I made my first hoods I used cheap 3/8" plywood. Knot holes and all. Hey I was on a budget. :)

loganj, I was refering to JustDIY's post where he mentioned a recent addition of a table saw. That does sound good will have to take a look at Sears.

Back
Top Bottom