DIY Lighting (T8) and Canopy for a 135 Saltwater FOWLR

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

grimes135

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a 135g (60x22x24) FOWLR tank that i wish to light. Currently i have 4 30" lights 2 actinic and 2 10000k. i just received 14 ballasts that each support 2 48" t12 lights. My goal is to light my tank well enough for a strong coraline algea growth on about 180lbs of live rock already in the tank. any recommendations for lighting configurations. i would like to use 36" t8 lights with them, would that be possible? 24"?

Since i already have 4 24" T8 lights i would like to incorporate them into the design. my current plan would have 4@24" and 6@36" powered by 5 ballasts. would this work? provide enough watts per gallon?

Thank you for your help, i appreciate it greatly.

You may want to add saltwater to your topic title. May get a few more hits from the saltwater people.

Just a hint. ;) I really can't help you other than that! Sorry.

Yeah just added it, thanks for the hint. hopefully this will get a couple more hits now...

Answer is yes that amount of light would give you good coralline growth.
Now a couple of questions.
Are your ballasts electronic or magnetic?
If electronic zoomed bulbs are great but will not work on magnetic ballast.
Can you fit 24 and 36 end to end?
I assume your hood is 60" long, I have 60 long also. My problem was I didn't have enough room to fit 24 and 36 end to end to get 60 length. End caps take up space. I went with 6 48" t8 and offset. i get plenty of coralline even have some low light zoos and mushrooms in tank.
Why not include your 4 VHO bulbs in the plan?

Back
Top Bottom