Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > DIY Projects
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-07-2005, 07:57 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to greenmaji
ODNO.. over drivin NO ... and if you want the shimmer some users of ODNO have gotten it off of 4 little 18" bulbs.. but I would think that MH would be alot easier to do this with.. anyway... no matter what you want to build your going to need ballasts of one kind or another.. so here is a link..
http://www.prolighting.com/ballasts.html

Old 07-07-2005, 10:20 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Regular

So if I get this ballast kit, do I only need a bulb and just attatch it to a shop light or do I also need a cord?
http://www.prolighting.com/20mehapustba.html

39 gallon (2yrs) 40lbs live sand. 23 lbs LR (still collecting) , 1 turbo snail, 5 Nasarius snails, 10 blue knuckle hermits, 1 zebra hermit, 1 scarlet hermit, 5 red tip hermits, 1 Green Chromis, 1 Blue Damsel, ? Ricordia, candy cane coral.

135gallon (2 months)
125lbs live sand, 100lbs live rock, 2 175W Metal Halide, 1 175W VHO Actinic (so far). Berlin Protein Skimmer in 40 Gallon Sump. 2 Maxi Jet 1200's. 10 Nassarius, 10 mexican turbos, 10 astreas, 20 Blue Leg Hermits, 20 Scarlet Hermits, 5 Emerald crabs, 5 peppermint shrimp. 1 Copper Band butterfly, 2 False Perculas, 1 Javanese Damsel.
StrongBad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2005, 10:32 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via ICQ to JProx Send a message via AIM to JProx
it looks like it comes with something that could be a cord, it could just be a wire that you have to attach a electrical plug too, and if thats the case its really easy to do, and takes all but 2mins.

i don't think it would be wise to attach that to a regular shoplight fixture because MH bulbs and fixtures get very hot while in use. but this is a great deal for a MH unit i just might buy myself a pair.
Old 07-08-2005, 12:35 AM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict

The ballast is just that, a ballast.. you will need to get a power cord for it.. and wire it to it.. and to the bulbs socket.. and mount it in a fixture of some kind with a reflector of some kind... but its alot cheaper then buying one pre-maid.. :P
do you know what a M136 Metal Halide Lamp (Pulse Start) is? If you know what kind of bulb it is and what kind of socket to get youll be set!
Old 07-08-2005, 01:35 AM   #15
Aquarium Advice Regular

Unfortunately I dont....If I had a schematic to work from it would help a little. For now I am still trying to put together a list of ALL parts I neet for a working MH setup on a 30 gallon tank. An ideal list would include the wall plug to the bulb and everything in between. After that I can figure out how to affix it to a wooden tank hood and cool it.
So are the metal halide lights single bulb units completely unlike flourescent tube setups? Also, alot of setups I have seen recently have both PC and MH. Is there an advantage to this like more of the light spectrum?
39 gallon (2yrs) 40lbs live sand. 23 lbs LR (still collecting) , 1 turbo snail, 5 Nasarius snails, 10 blue knuckle hermits, 1 zebra hermit, 1 scarlet hermit, 5 red tip hermits, 1 Green Chromis, 1 Blue Damsel, ? Ricordia, candy cane coral.

135gallon (2 months)
125lbs live sand, 100lbs live rock, 2 175W Metal Halide, 1 175W VHO Actinic (so far). Berlin Protein Skimmer in 40 Gallon Sump. 2 Maxi Jet 1200's. 10 Nassarius, 10 mexican turbos, 10 astreas, 20 Blue Leg Hermits, 20 Scarlet Hermits, 5 Emerald crabs, 5 peppermint shrimp. 1 Copper Band butterfly, 2 False Perculas, 1 Javanese Damsel.
Old 07-08-2005, 04:26 AM   #16
Aquarium Advice Freak

the basic idea is the MH provides full-spec lighting to live rock at the deepest part of the aquarium, and the PC bulbs are actintic and provide the neccessary light to corals. the reason you use PC bulbs for the actintic portion is because the wavelength of the color (generated by the bulb) can penerate the deepest parts of the aquarium easily.
Old 07-08-2005, 08:07 AM   #17
Aquarium Advice Addict

JProx.. if you can explain the setup to him that might help.. I would have to do reaserh to find out what kind of socket and bulb they would need to use with this ballast.... Im guessing you might already know.. Im kinda intrested myself.. ATS anyone! :P
Old 07-08-2005, 08:20 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice Freak

all MH fixtures are pretty much the same, there are only 2 big differences.
1) how the bulb is ignited, there are only 2 systems - probe start, and pulse start. these are not interchangable. if you have a pulse start ballast you cant use a probe start bulb. if you do, the bulb may or may not ignite and it can either go through color shifts, loss of light output, and will have a shorter life.

2) the type of bulb to use, again there are only 2 types, screw base (light a regular bulb) and a double sided fixture. the double sided fixture requires a special mounting base and a specilized ballast to work properly. the link above is for a regular MH ballast, so all you need is a mogul base. it looks similar to a regular incandescent fixture just bigger, go to home depot or lowes and ask an employee to show you the mogul sockets, and they should run only a few bucks.

the wiring is pretty simple, and you should be able to do all the wiring in less than 20mins, just the mounting might take longer. i would suggest keeping the ballast away from the actual MH bulb, to reduce an heat as much as possible. some people mount the ballast in their stand, (away from the sump) and run the wires from the ballast to the bulb.

so all you need is something to mount the fixture and ballast too.
1) a mogul socket
2) 3 wire / cord to supply power to the unit (Hot, netural and ground)
3) if the cord doesn't come with an electrical socket you will need one of those too (a 3 prong plug)

and thats all you should need, sorry about my last post, after looking at the link and hte pic thats listed, i thought the ballast came with the socket, and the name 'ballast kit' led me to believe the mogul socket was included. but after re - examining the pic i now believe its just a charging capacitor and not the actual socket. sorry about that.
Old 07-09-2005, 01:12 AM   #19
Aquarium Advice Regular

I have found some info about the pulse start. This link also has some other good FAQ type info.
http://members.fortunecity.com/paulerik/id53.htm
Also, here is a schematic that seems to have everything necessary from the plug to the bulb.
http://members.fortunecity.com/paulerik/id51.htm
Next, are these ballasts useable. They seem pretty cheap compared to other sites.
Ok thats it for now.

135gallon (2 months)
Old 07-09-2005, 01:17 AM   #20
Aquarium Advice Regular

Thank you so much, this is the exact type of info I was looking for. I may get back to you with some more questions as I go.

135gallon (2 months)

Tags
diy, diy light, hood, light, lighting

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com