Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > DIY Projects
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 06-06-2005, 02:52 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

DIY lighting VS new light hood

I am wondering if I DIY my lighting using a couple different options. 1st using the Light of America outdoor lights 65w and something else for 2 actinic bulbs. 2nd to get a ballist and set up some kind of PC retrofit or using the bulbs the 65w bulbs that come with the LOA light as a retrofit. 3rd is to get a JEBO odyessa light kit which comes with 4x65w PC bulbs 2x12K daylight, bulbs 2xactinic 03's, 2 moon lights, 2 fans, and legs. What would be the best route to go with?

The aquarium thing is kinda new to me any and all help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Chancy

Old 06-14-2005, 04:53 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to greenmaji
PC electronic ballasts..
http://www.prolighting.com/woba.html
the caps are there too it all depends on what type of bulbs you want to use..

Old 06-14-2005, 01:58 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenmagi
PC electronic ballasts..
http://www.prolighting.com/woba.html
the caps are there too it all depends on what type of bulbs you want to use..
What would you suggest for a 55gal tank? I don't want to be TOO limited on the anems that i put in there.

i was looking at a 29gal with a Coralife aqualight setup... but was told it would only let me do a few of the lower light anems
TIA
Old 06-14-2005, 05:37 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

If you want advise on how much light and wich bulbs you need to grow something you might want to post that question in the appropriate area.. if its for reef stuff that area.. if its for FW plants that area.. or at least give us an idea what you want to do with the lights..

If you need help picking a ballast for the type of CF bulbs and wattages and such I could help you with that if you just post how many and what you want to build..
Old 06-18-2005, 02:43 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Did you find out what kind and size bulbs you needed for what you want to keep?
I dont know what the lighting requirements are for the high light needing anems.. Im guessing you asked in the SW area? If you did then did they give you a watts per gallon and color temps you would need?.. I hope no-one would have scared you off by cost because I would be trying to find the cheapest solution to your problem in here..
Happy to Help..
Old 06-18-2005, 09:59 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Freak

well, i found out a few days ago, that I will be inheriting a tank. It is in need of some TLC and has a ballast with two fairly new lights... they havent been used much due to the fan on the canopy being broken, which is one thing i will quickly fix.

Once i have everything in order here, i will look at what i have and what i will need. I appreciate the offer for help when it comes to the lighting and I will be sure to take you up on it, as soon as i know what i am working with

Thanks, again
75g w/ 30g sump, 160# LR, 60# sand: Inverts =18 turbos, 30 nassirus's, 40 blue leg's, 5 emeralds, 1 CBS, 1 skunk cleaner, 1 brown gulf shrimp? and various other LR hitch hikers yet un discovered or un-ID'ed
Fish=1 yellow tang, 1 yellow headed jawfish, 1 pink/blue shrimpgoby, 2 perc clowns.
Future fish = 1 sixline, 1 lawnmower blenny
mykpoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2005, 12:14 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

Ill try to keep an eye out on this thread..
Old 07-07-2005, 02:07 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Regular

I have been searching the DIY forum for a really good DIY project for a Lighting hood for my new 30 gallon FOWLR. It is in the middle of a fishless cycle right now so I have a bit of time. It is 12" by 24" (oh and 18" high). I would like to do metal halide so that I can have a couple of coral and some anemone's too but they are so expensive retail. I guess my question comes down to........Can I buy a regular flourescent hood and retrofit that with appropriate lighting? If so, what are the necessary parts?
39 gallon (2yrs) 40lbs live sand. 23 lbs LR (still collecting) , 1 turbo snail, 5 Nasarius snails, 10 blue knuckle hermits, 1 zebra hermit, 1 scarlet hermit, 5 red tip hermits, 1 Green Chromis, 1 Blue Damsel, ? Ricordia, candy cane coral.

135gallon (2 months)
125lbs live sand, 100lbs live rock, 2 175W Metal Halide, 1 175W VHO Actinic (so far). Berlin Protein Skimmer in 40 Gallon Sump. 2 Maxi Jet 1200's. 10 Nassarius, 10 mexican turbos, 10 astreas, 20 Blue Leg Hermits, 20 Scarlet Hermits, 5 Emerald crabs, 5 peppermint shrimp. 1 Copper Band butterfly, 2 False Perculas, 1 Javanese Damsel.
StrongBad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2005, 05:49 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

I dont know if MH is nessisary... how many watts/gal of what K lighting do you need to grow the corals you want to keep? what im saying is MH has a lumenosity of about 6500.. 4X ODNO 48"'s of it has a lumenosity of 6000.. if you put more ODNO then 48" over it you would have more lumenosity then MH and just as much punch.. and alot less heat.. the amps it would pull would be killer though.. its about 2 amps per 48"..
Old 07-07-2005, 07:17 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Regular

I'm really not sure what kind of coral I want, in fact I didnt know that different coral needed different kinds of light (which is what I assume the K rating is for) I guess I would like whatever lighting penetrates 18" deep and will cover the aquarium floor at 12" by 24" and support the widest array of coral possible. I will then buy coral from within that set of species.
I liked the idea of MH because I read that it gives a nice shimmer to the water. As an aside what is ODNO? something, something, normal output?
If MH is not really necessary, what would be a good alternative, VHO, PC? And would either of those be easy to make my own lighting hood?
Thanks for the help

39 gallon (2yrs) 40lbs live sand. 23 lbs LR (still collecting) , 1 turbo snail, 5 Nasarius snails, 10 blue knuckle hermits, 1 zebra hermit, 1 scarlet hermit, 5 red tip hermits, 1 Green Chromis, 1 Blue Damsel, ? Ricordia, candy cane coral.

135gallon (2 months)
125lbs live sand, 100lbs live rock, 2 175W Metal Halide, 1 175W VHO Actinic (so far). Berlin Protein Skimmer in 40 Gallon Sump. 2 Maxi Jet 1200's. 10 Nassarius, 10 mexican turbos, 10 astreas, 20 Blue Leg Hermits, 20 Scarlet Hermits, 5 Emerald crabs, 5 peppermint shrimp. 1 Copper Band butterfly, 2 False Perculas, 1 Javanese Damsel.
StrongBad is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
diy, diy light, hood, light, lighting

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com