DIY Live Rock

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I'm planing on making my own live rock. Would it be okay to use just Portland cement with no oyster shells or crushed coral? Or will that just cause the rock to be very heavy?

Real Live Rock comes from a reef somewhere and contains real animals that can be a real surprise. It is called "Live" because it is and it needs to be kept wet until it is placed in an aquarium for "seasoning". It's value is it's ability to filter water in a salt tank better than any other material.
When you use some man-made material you can do whatever you want. If you are not building a salt tank, I do not think it matters. I cannot speak to the weight of either as I have a salt tank with 600 lbs. of real live rock.

Real Live Rock comes from a reef somewhere and contains real animals that can be a real surprise. It is called "Live" because it is and it needs to be kept wet until it is placed in an aquarium for "seasoning". It's value is it's ability to filter water in a salt tank better than any other material.
When you use some man-made material you can do whatever you want. If you are not building a salt tank, I do not think it matters. I cannot speak to the weight of either as I have a salt tank with 600 lbs. of real live rock.

Dear god, I could never afford, or want to afford 600 lbs of live rock.

darknessheir said:
I use cement water salt crushed coral and 2 types of argonite sand

I made some to I use gravel Portland cement salt crystals hrrs a pic

Attachments

• image-4037507091.jpg
    image-4037507091.jpg
    245.8 KB · Views: 109
  • image-2053006164.jpg
    image-2053006164.jpg
    132.4 KB · Views: 109
  • image-3157433937.jpg
    image-3157433937.jpg
    143.1 KB · Views: 93
harmy4993 said:
i dont see why you couldnt use the same stuff. i would definetly use white portland thou for fw cause you wont have the coralline algae to change the look of it.

The white cement looks way better I can't find it anywhere in nh tho

Back
Top Bottom