Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > DIY Projects
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 04-20-2010, 01:51 AM   #161
Aquarium Advice Newbie

A place near New Orleans, La called Coral Connection makes their own Live Rock using the following. White Portland Cement, crush coral, and acrylic shavings. They sell it for $2.50 per pound. So, do the math if you needed 100lbs.

I couldn't find the white so I tried the gray. After making some rock about a month goes by and fresh water changes everyday, PH is still at or above 8.8 (PH strips on went that high). Frustrated, I wanted to try white Portland.

With that said, I went out to my local building supply store to buy my white Portland cement. It took for ever to find this but at 16 bucks for 92lbs, I'm not complaining. So, I made me three large pieces, using 2 parts crushed oyster shell, 1 part WHITE Portland cement, and 1 part salt rock. I rinsed the rocks with fresh water until the salt rock melted. Formed it and let it stand for about 24hrs.

During my water change in my tank, I put the old salt-water in a large plastic tote bin, with some of my sand from the tank, a small piece of seeded rock from my tank, a 10k 30" PC light and a power head. The rock has been in the water for about a week and I tested the PH with test strips, which according to the color chart the PH is between 7.8-8.4. (color is in between)

Coraline is seeding on this rock that I made and the white looks more appealing than the gray. I don't know why the cure time was short; maybe to do something with the white cement? Just wanted to share my experience.

Old 04-20-2010, 04:40 AM   #162
Aquarium Advice Addict

I think it's the freshwater in the first batch being tested with a saltwater PH test kit and using saltwater in the second batch with a saltwater PH test kit. White must look clean, but it all gets covered with coralline and other growth soon enough. But it's good to know that white cement works great too. We had a few questions on white cement and you have answered some of them.

Old 04-20-2010, 11:07 PM   #163
Aquarium Advice Activist

That is interesting that the white doesnt spike the PH, it makes me wonder what is making that happen (if there is something added to it or something is missing that isnt in the gray).

As far as I know it doesnt matter if its salt or freshwater for pH tests. They all work the same, the difference is in the color chart. FW pH chart will just have the colors for a lower pH while salt water has its chart colored to monitor a higher pH.
Old 04-21-2010, 12:45 AM   #164
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Yeah, I have Quick Strips which does hardness, ph, alkaline, nitrate, nitrite, and another. They are separated color charts for fresh & salt.

Now looking how white portland is made via google, its the same process except:

White portland cement is made from raw materials containing little or no iron or manganese, the substances that give conventional cement its gray color. (from a cement website).

This may or may not have something to do with it. But the white does look good and I want to see it covered with Coraline algae. The brand of white portland is Holcim. I'm now changing my 55gal from planted to a reef or FOWLR. I'm unsure though
Old 04-28-2010, 08:45 PM   #165
Aquarium Advice Addict

some rock I made
The two rocks on the left hand side are the same rock from diff angles

This is just a bit of the rock that I have done so far... this was my test rock
Greenmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 09:11 PM   #166
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via Yahoo to harmy4993

this was 2 batches ago for mine. getting close. i like how it slurps water when you dunk it. you know its porous then.
Old 04-28-2010, 09:13 PM   #167
Aquarium Advice Addict

I tried to fill the whole with water once... it just ran right out the bottom
Old 04-29-2010, 12:50 PM   #168
Aquarium Advice Addict

Looking good. How is the weight of those rocks?
Old 04-29-2010, 02:45 PM   #169
Aquarium Advice Addict

Light... very light... till they get wet
Old 05-22-2010, 02:55 AM   #170
Aquarium Advice Addict

Finally here are some pictures of my DIY rocks

I like lots of hiding places... this isn't necessarily how I'm going to set it up in my tank. The size of the rock pile is approximately 2'6" wide, 2' deep, and 2' high.

Tags
agrocrete, diy, diy live rock, live, live rock, rock

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com