Diy live rock

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Ours is pretty good a little phosphate and a ton of chlorine and fluoride. So I stick to r/o but for what I pay its not bad drinking water lol

Ok so I talked to mr. X last night for quite some time and got all my questions answered about the long term effects of cement on an aquarium. Basicly if its cured properly there is no effect what so ever on the tank.

Bschowa said:
What will happen if you don't cure it properly

It will continue to cure in your tank and leak out toxic chemicals. Take your time to make sure it's cured, the ph is a solid indication when it's ready.

What Ph are you stopping at? Or are you just going until it stabalizes for a while? That's what I figure ill do then 2 weeks in saltwater withe a good dose of colonize, some established live rock out of my tank, a heater and a power head. Try to get it seeded a little bit before it goes in the display tank

TomStav said:
It will continue to cure in your tank and leak out toxic chemicals. Take your time to make sure it's cured, the ph is a solid indication when it's ready.

I'm not exactly sure what chemicals are in the cement but there is a warning on the bag to wear goggles and gloves because it can burn your skin. And if you think about it that makes perfect sense since it dries chemicaly

Here is a pic of my rock ready to go in the tank

Attachments

• image-854935800.jpg
    image-854935800.jpg
    156.1 KB · Views: 75
  • image-2154903167.jpg
    image-2154903167.jpg
    188 KB · Views: 95
Here is another shot in water my fish loves his new home

Attachments

• image-4232078913.jpg
    image-4232078913.jpg
    172.5 KB · Views: 97
I have just discovered why my rock was taking so long to cure!

I read on a thread that the container can build up a slimy coat that effects the ph. So I changed the container, and wouldn't you know, it's cured and may have been for a while. So I've now put it in some heated saltwater and will test it again in a day or two just to double check.

How did you get such great detail on your rocks? I am afraid that mine is just going to look like round balls lol

You make your mold in the sand. A little wet. I used a rock to make diferent shapes. Then spred some lose sand over the mold to add texture. Then filed the molds little by little by hand. The mix has to be just wet enough to mix. (As dry as posible) almost looks like mud.

That's pretty much what I did. I packed a lot of salt both in the bottom of the molds and on top before I covered it up. Hopefully it turns out well. I guess we will see Monday. Ill post pics as soon as it comes out of the sand

Ok so made some rock it has been in water curing for about a month. I have not tested at all, I am not in any hurry. I think I will test tap water on Monday then see where it is at. I want to make it for my sump don't like the fake look for a DT (fake look of my rock not all DIY rock)

Back
Top Bottom