Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > DIY Projects
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-27-2012, 10:31 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice FINatic

DIY Live Rock! Need Answers!

I made some DIY live rock around July 4th weekend. I mixed Portland cement with salt crystals and no crush oyster shells or anything (don't like the look). I do water changes everyday in a 30 gallon container. It's been about 3-4weeks now and I'm not sure if my rocks are ready or not. I don't have a ph test kit soo..yeah. Any advice?

Old 07-27-2012, 10:39 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Were the rocks in freshwater or saltwater?

Old 07-28-2012, 01:10 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Fresh for now. Ill seed them once they're ready
Old 07-31-2012, 06:08 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Newbie

i have seen it take up to 90 days for rocks , did you do just rocks or rocks and back ground if both could take longer , best i have found get ph test for this u can use cheap stripes from ebay or any pet store , any of stores on this site. test your tap water in a cup then before u do water change test that water once the two show the same you will be safe to add the rock to your tank. p.s. let rocks be in the water 24 - 48 hr. before testing , the rocks will also cure faster by having the water movement , powerheads airstones anything to keep the water moving.
Old 08-01-2012, 08:51 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigfishlittletank
i have seen it take up to 90 days for rocks , did you do just rocks or rocks and back ground if both could take longer , best i have found get ph test for this u can use cheap stripes from ebay or any pet store , any of stores on this site. test your tap water in a cup then before u do water change test that water once the two show the same you will be safe to add the rock to your tank. p.s. let rocks be in the water 24 - 48 hr. before testing , the rocks will also cure faster by having the water movement , powerheads airstones anything to keep the water moving.
Thanks for the advice!! I've been waiting for some feedback on this thread. I'll probably get a pH test kit the next time I go to the lfs. I think the rocks should be ready since I do wc every day for the past month but I won't know for sure until I check.

Tags
diy, diy live rock, live, live rock, rock

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com