DIY Long and Shallow?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Antler

Aquarium Advice Activist
I was researching 33 gallon long (48x13x13) tanks for a possibly reef project and called all the LFS in the area and only one can get them. At $225!

Considering getting one made or getting the glass cut and doing it myself, can anyone chime in with glass size so I wouldn't need bracing? Anyone got ideas with best way to make this reef ready?

No one has ideas?

I can pick up a 55 gal pretty cheaply (compared to 33 long). Anyone have experience cutting down a tank?

If I brought it to a professional glass shop, can they cut it down to 13" tall without taking the tank apart?

If the 55's are cheapest ready mades available then maybe ask the manufacturer what glass type it is before ordering a tank. Take the information to whoever you plan to use to cut down the tank and see if they can cut that glass type or custom make you a quality tank for less than the price of the 55 with the added price of cutting to size. Let them do the brainwork on pricing since they don't have to run around.

Can't help you at all with DIY glasswork. My only advice with glass is to not throw stones if you live in an aquarium :D

If the 55's are cheapest ready mades available then maybe ask the manufacturer what glass type it is before ordering a tank. Take the information to whoever you plan to use to cut down the tank and see if they can cut that glass type or custom make you a quality tank for less than the price of the 55 with the added price of cutting to size. Let them do the brainwork on pricing since they don't have to run around.

Can't help you at all with DIY glasswork. My only advice with glass is to not throw stones if you live in an aquarium :D

Haha thanks I'll have to do that.

Checked into the local stores. Best price on a new 55 gal is $150 and tax. I really doubt the glass shop is gonna charge more than $50 to cut down and smooth the edges on it, so looks like if I really want a 33 long I'm gonna have to dish out the $225 and order one in!

To run the glass through a polisher, single sheet at a time, a Harris pad can be used to ease the edge but it isn't a polished finish. What dimensions are the tank? The longer the tank, the thicker the glass, the deeper the tank the thicker the glass, braceless sides=thicker glass! Basically err on the side of caution. (Ex-glazier of 10 years with lots of DIY tank builds)

I would suggest minimum of 10mm front/base and 6-8mm sides (late read of dimensions!)

To run the glass through a polisher, single sheet at a time, a Harris pad can be used to ease the edge but it isn't a polished finish. What dimensions are the tank? The longer the tank, the thicker the glass, the deeper the tank the thicker the glass, braceless sides=thicker glass! Basically err on the side of caution. (Ex-glazier of 10 years with lots of DIY tank builds)

I would suggest minimum of 10mm front/base and 6-8mm sides (late read of dimensions!)

Thanks! I'll call the glass shop tomorrow and price out the custom build vs. cut down a 55.

Petco has the $1 per gallon sales periodically. You could pick up a 55 gallon for $55. I'd call a local glass shop to see what they could do for you. It could work out cheaper, but I'm sure it would have to be taken apart.

It could work out cheaper, but I'm sure it would have to be taken apart.

Confirm, (post #6) also a glass company may not be held liable for breakage to supplied glass. At least that counts in the UK. See small print of possible glass merchant/processor. They probably won't deconstruct it either at least not for free.

Even the most skilled glass cutter can break a panel. Age and condition of sheet play a part, ambient temperature should also be considered.

Colder air=more brittle glass.

Well instead of spending $225 and Tax on a 33 long I think I'm gonna go a little bigger. 40 long is same dimensions as the 33 but about 4" taller. That or a 40 breeder.

I know the 40b is a fairly common tank but what about the 40 long?

Back
Top Bottom