Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > DIY Projects
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
 
Old 04-05-2012, 07:47 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice FINatic
 
Travis55's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Cedar Rapids, IA
Posts: 716
DIY metal halide canopy

So my mh fixture is uuuuggglllyyyy. Can i build a wood canopy to go around the fixture? It holds 2 175w bulbs and 2 t5 ho.



Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20120405_174637.jpg
Views:	127
Size:	33.7 KB
ID:	87023



Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20120405_174702.jpg
Views:	120
Size:	38.2 KB
ID:	87024
__________________

__________________
Travis55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 07:43 AM   #2
SW 20 & Over Club
 
ccCapt's Avatar


 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Northeast PA
Posts: 5,362
Send a message via ICQ to ccCapt
I would pull that tin foil off. It will only scatter the light around. You will get better results with the flat white metal only.
__________________

__________________
/Larry
125g reef
See My Tank Info
Check out The build project
ccCapt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 09:22 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Wrexham
Posts: 599
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccCapt
I would pull that tin foil off. It will only scatter the light around. You will get better results with the flat white metal only.
I agree completely about the flat white being better than the tin foil.

One thing I would be concerned with would be the build up of heat if you encased the whole fixture in wood.

Something as simple as a PC fan blowing through the wooden enclosure to remove the heat would work.


Jon


(I used to use these lights to grow stuff in another life 600w versions). Lol.
__________________
jondamon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 11:07 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice FINatic
 
Travis55's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Cedar Rapids, IA
Posts: 716
Quote:
Originally Posted by jondamon

I agree completely about the flat white being better than the tin foil.

One thing I would be concerned with would be the build up of heat if you encased the whole fixture in wood.

Something as simple as a PC fan blowing through the wooden enclosure to remove the heat would work.

Jon

(I used to use these lights to grow stuff in another life 600w versions). Lol.
I think the foil put more light down... but thats just me. Im still hunting for some cheapie reflectors. Anything better than what i have.

Also i scavenged these out of a minifridge. Heat sinks and all.



Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20120408_210638.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	61.1 KB
ID:	87791
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20120408_210556.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	61.1 KB
ID:	87792  
__________________
Travis55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 05:02 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice FINatic
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Wrexham
Posts: 599
The foil will appear to direct light downwards but unless you have ZERO creases in the foil it won't spread light evenly.

There are films on the market that you can use.

Mylar, diamond reflective sheeting , orca film etc.
__________________
jondamon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 09:17 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice FINatic
 
Travis55's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Cedar Rapids, IA
Posts: 716
Quote:
Originally Posted by jondamon View Post
The foil will appear to direct light downwards but unless you have ZERO creases in the foil it won't spread light evenly.

There are films on the market that you can use.

Mylar, diamond reflective sheeting , orca film etc.
What about chrome spray paint?
__________________
Travis55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 09:38 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice FINatic
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Wrexham
Posts: 599
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travis55

What about chrome spray paint?
To be honest Travis55 you would have difficulty keeping chrome paint even and it probably wouldn't obtain the same reflectivity as leaving it white.

Keeping it white as it is you should be getting around 80% reflectivity.

Tin foil with zero creases around 85% reflectivity.


Chrome paint with even coverage maybe if you're lucky 85% reflectivity.

However with chrome paint I would be concerned with offgasing.


Seriously I would leave it white as it is, I used to use diamond reflective sheeting on walls. My reflectors that housed my 600w lamps used to have a bubbled aluminium reflective panel above them but it was also computer designed to give the best spread of light downwards.

With metal halide lamps have you thought about water splash on the glass tube?

The reason I ask is that MH Lamps use gasses to ignite and keep the light spectrum you need and they burn hotter ALOT hotter than T5's T8's etc so a small amount of water on the glass tube could cool the bulb too much and cause a blow out.

This would obviously depend on the proximity of the MH to the water level.



Jon
__________________
jondamon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 12:59 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice FINatic
 
Travis55's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Cedar Rapids, IA
Posts: 716
Quote:
Originally Posted by jondamon

To be honest Travis55 you would have difficulty keeping chrome paint even and it probably wouldn't obtain the same reflectivity as leaving it white.

Keeping it white as it is you should be getting around 80% reflectivity.

Tin foil with zero creases around 85% reflectivity.

Chrome paint with even coverage maybe if you're lucky 85% reflectivity.

However with chrome paint I would be concerned with offgasing.

Seriously I would leave it white as it is, I used to use diamond reflective sheeting on walls. My reflectors that housed my 600w lamps used to have a bubbled aluminium reflective panel above them but it was also computer designed to give the best spread of light downwards.

With metal halide lamps have you thought about water splash on the glass tube?

The reason I ask is that MH Lamps use gasses to ignite and keep the light spectrum you need and they burn hotter ALOT hotter than T5's T8's etc so a small amount of water on the glass tube could cool the bulb too much and cause a blow out.

This would obviously depend on the proximity of the MH to the water level.

Jon
The fixture will be 8-10" away from the water
__________________

__________________
Travis55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
canopy, diy, halide, metal, metal halide

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
To the DIY CO2 Experts.... daileene DIY Projects 33 04-26-2012 08:21 PM
DIY co2 question. paytertot DIY Projects 21 04-07-2012 11:27 PM
will this DIY sponge filter work? Ponch DIY Projects 10 04-07-2012 09:27 AM
Phoenix 14k 150w metal halide bulbs question Falconsrock23 General Hardware/Equipment Discussion 0 04-05-2012 03:17 PM







» Photo Contest Winners








Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:46 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.