DIY Metal Halide canopy pics

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Joshsmit56001

Aquarium Advice Freak
Here is a diagram of my plans for my canopy. I am using 3/4" plywood with the inside painted with a flat acrylic latex outdoor paint and the outside stained. The entire canopy will be coated with 1-2 layers of varathane to protcet from moisture. If you have any questions or recomendations please let me know

Thanks,
Josh

Attachments

• hood1_171.jpg
    hood1_171.jpg
    22.9 KB · Views: 2,054
Looks beautiful and even has enough room to add moonlights eventually if you want them. We built ours similar to that but I wish we had done the doors in front like yours. Great work and good luck.

Did you think about making the whole front as a slide out with just the botom trim as a support. It makes it easyer to work inside the tank.
Anyway it looks good.

Here is some in progress pics on the canopy that Gooyferret and I have been working on. We still have to stain, paint the inside white, put the doors on, and varnich the entire thing. Please give us some input.

Attachments

• diycanopy_001.jpg
    diycanopy_001.jpg
    34.1 KB · Views: 311
  • diycanopy_003.jpg
    diycanopy_003.jpg
    39.4 KB · Views: 279
The main material was an 10x6 foot piece of redi panel plywood that I cut to make a box with no bottom. The trim on the top and bottom is 2.25" door molding, and the corner moldiong is .5" corner mulding. I am going to use a flat acrylic latex outdoor white paint on the inside for better reflection and on the outside I am going to stain with ipswitch pine. After this the whole thing will be covered with a varathane water protectant. The halide system is a coralvue retrofit with a 20k bulb. The bulb will be around 7.5 to 8 inches off the surface of the water. For cooling a bought a 6" personal fan from wal-mart for $5, took off the front grate, and used the same wholes to screw into the wood in the back of the canopy. I will post pics of this later.

verry nice!!!!!!!!

Like your canopy. Good job.

The only thing I dint like to much is the fan :D but you can't beat $5 :wink:

for the inside i would
recomend white epoxy paint
when it dries it dries super hard

look at your stove ,washing machine ,dishwasher,etc
it is the same stuff
i used it on mine
takes a long time to dry
but will last pracically forever
and will not flake off

Don't you want the fan blowing out? It looks like it's blowing in.

I only say that because you'd be sucking whatever might be floating around your house into the tank - pet hair, dust etc.

Minnesota . . . . Darn, I was hoping you were local! I'd love for you to build that for me!

Looks great.

Back
Top Bottom