DIY Micro-Gravel, need base rock suggestion.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CompMage

Aquarium Advice Freak
Ok, I'm looking to tumble some rock down to about 1/8 inch. I'm looking to do this because I'm re-doing a planted tank and want something a little finer then gravel, but not as dense of sand.

I'm thinking of just using basic gravel (quarts mix) or seeing if I can get something darker such as granite. I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions as to other rocks I can consider.

I'll be going to the rock store this weekend and will talk to them, but I though I might throw this out here for any suggestions for things they might not think about.

Thanks

CompMage said:
Ok, I'm looking to tumble some rock down to about 1/8 inch. I'm looking to do this because I'm re-doing a planted tank and want something a little finer then gravel, but not as dense of sand.

I'm thinking of just using basic gravel (quarts mix) or seeing if I can get something darker such as granite. I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions as to other rocks I can consider.

I'll be going to the rock store this weekend and will talk to them, but I though I might throw this out here for any suggestions for things they might not think about.

Thanks

I would go to your local sand blaster and filter sand distributor and get some Red Flint filter gravel, it's super nice and you can get it in just about any size you want, I bought a 100 pound bag of 1/16 to 1/8th gravel for 10 bucks, I also bought some .80 to 1.20 mm for 10 dollars per 100 pounds, I have the smaller .80/1.20mm in my tank now and it is just incredible, very rounded edges and the fish love it, and you can still vacuum it because it is not as fine as sand, but fine enough for plants, cichlids etc.

Check it out here:
http://www.redflint.com/index.htm

I sent them a email asking them where the closest distributor was to my city(I live in Milwaukee) and it turned out it was 5 minutes from my workplace.

I can post some pictures of the both sizes I have if you like. Just let me know.

Snorkel

Back
Top Bottom