DIY Minnow Trap

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

maxwellag

Aquarium Advice Addict
I made a minnow trap out of a 1 liter bottle. It was very cost effective, obviously. I have not tested it in a pond yet, but I tested it in my tank and caught a few neon tetras. I used bread as bait.

Bubbles0oO said:
Can you show a pic? I like to raise minnows for bait and for fun!

I thought I did. I guess not... I will add one. Sorry...

Here's a picture. The bait goes in the bottom part of the bottle. Fish swim up the curved part, and through the hole. They are trapped because they cannot center themselves to get through the hole the opposite way.

One thing to remember when using one of these traps. Since there is not much water flow in and out of the trap, the fish inside it can suffocate and die if you leave them in there too long. Have had this happen in the past with bottle traps.

You could add some small holes in it to help avoid that issue, but I think it's only a problem if you leave them in there for hours.

jetajockey said:
One thing to remember when using one of these traps. Since there is not much water flow in and out of the trap, the fish inside it can suffocate and die if you leave them in there too long. Have had this happen in the past with bottle traps.

You could add some small holes in it to help avoid that issue, but I think it's only a problem if you leave them in there for hours.

I was planning to just leave it there for like an hour and check it. But thanks for the heads up. :)

Just be aware of your local laws. In PA you cannot have unattended bait traps unless they have your name, phone # and address clearly marked on the trap.

I'll be right next to it prob eating lunch . After lunch we would kyack out to a spot and fish! Wow now I'm pumped!

I tested it today (let it sit for 30 minutes while I fished for larger fish beside it) and caught nothing... :/ I think it is too early/cold for them yet.

Back
Top Bottom