Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > DIY Projects
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 09-18-2011, 06:10 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to Jlsardina
DIY moonlights

So I want to make moonlights for my tank, but am not entirely sure how. Any suggestions?

Old 09-18-2011, 06:56 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Send a message via Yahoo to George9
I just saw somewhere online where a guy took like a 2x4 and glued blue Christmas lights to it. So you would turn it upside down over the water.

Old 09-18-2011, 07:17 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I use 2 4" blue led strips sold at autopart stores. I just connect them to a 12v adapter. This is an old pic of my 10 gal
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20110918_180853.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	44.5 KB
ID:	52366  
Attached Images

Old 09-18-2011, 07:31 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Great ideas. Ive also seen where someone took the blue strip lights (that go over and under cabinets) and used those. Where would I get the 12v plug to rewire for less voltage? And what's the best way to make sure it's water resistant at that point just in case. I don't want to fry my fish!
Old 09-18-2011, 07:57 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jlsardina
Great ideas. Ive also seen where someone took the blue strip lights (that go over and under cabinets) and used those. Where would I get the 12v plug to rewire for less voltage? And what's the best way to make sure it's water resistant at that point just in case. I don't want to fry my fish!
I used an old wall adapter i had. If you don't have any laying around you can find it at Radio shack. Just make sure you use a 12V DC not AC.
Old 09-18-2011, 08:16 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Ok. Got it. Thanks so much everyone!
Old 09-21-2011, 08:50 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Freak

I'm about to do some moonlight for myself. I just bought blue LEDs off eBay (£1.60 for 50 pieces, but I won't use all of them). I intend to place them on a bit of PVC, do some soldering and connect it all to 6VDC power supply that's knocking about in my place (wife has been using it to power her sewing machine). Gonna start as soon as the LEDs arrive, maybe put some pictures as well
Old 09-21-2011, 12:35 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice FINatic

POTM Champion

What about using a blue rope light?
Old 09-22-2011, 02:14 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Freak

You can use that as well
I used LEDs, because I wanted to make sure it's the right wavelength and I can place them anyway I want, not being limited by existing cables-- and I'm not afraid of doing some soldering
Old 09-22-2011, 09:29 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice FINatic

POTM Champion

Send a message via AIM to mrbee2828 Send a message via Yahoo to mrbee2828
Quote:
Originally Posted by senemedar View Post
I'm about to do some moonlight for myself. I just bought blue LEDs off eBay (£1.60 for 50 pieces, but I won't use all of them). I intend to place them on a bit of PVC, do some soldering and connect it all to 6VDC power supply that's knocking about in my place (wife has been using it to power her sewing machine). Gonna start as soon as the LEDs arrive, maybe put some pictures as well

Can you do a build thread? This will be my last large project once my canopy is done. I'm planning on wiring up some raw LEDs as well with a wall adapter.

Also, I have been reading about different setups. I saw a thread (which I can't find at the moment) where people were showing off their setups. People were noting how salt setups should have a blue look while freshwater moonlight is usually clear. The had some interesting pics.

This is good too:

DIY LED Moonlight Guide

Tags
diy, light, lights

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com