diy moonlights

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cyris69

Aquarium Advice Freak
Is this a suitable array? I'm doing this because my fixture had a six led moonlight but it fell into the tank and the only thing broken was the moonlights for whatever reason however the leds are good as I've wired them up for testing.

I was planning either 12 or 24 led array but I figure 12 is most likely enough for a 40B. though would it be more affective to use a 12v old laptop power brick or just an old 9v charger? Going to get the leds from radioshack already have 390 and 470 ohm resistors since they dim the lights well.

I'll be using proper blue color leds 470-480nm should I add a few white leds?

So I guess how many leds can I add without it stressing the fish? This is for a heavily planted freshwater tank.

img_2115825_0_78879cdbed3b4055b19526f22f3fc13b.png

Not a bad deal, what nm spectrum are they? Mind showing me what the look like in your tank?

Not a bad deal, what nm spectrum are they? Mind showing me what the look like in your tank?

Are you trying to grow plants with your moonlight?

At night a freshwater planted tank doesn't need any proper parameters. The moonlight would be all for looks pretty much.

I use the inexpensive Marineland LED Bubble strip in blue. I have it secured to the lid to give a nice bluish glow to the FW fake reef tank at night. On another tank I have the white version, which looks very nice as a subdued light in a planted style tank.

Well I setup the array I messed up a few leds but they are cheap UV ones so going to take apart an old 12 led flashlight and add a few of those for white light.

That's all I want them for. I just mentioned 470nm because that is the color spectrum for blue that mimics moonlight the most.

Back
Top Bottom