DIY moonlights for saltwater tanks

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Did I inspire you to install moonlights?

• Total voters
if i don't like the two cold cathodes (with no dimmer,) i'll try three of the LEDs (with a dimmer) on 13.75" centers.

would someone be kind enough to explain or link me to an explanation of how to include the dimmer? diagrams would be most excellent. i can use a soldering iron no problem, but i'm not sure what goes where, etc. the power supply is going to be a RadioShack 12v 1amp AC adapter with the bare wire leads Adaptaplug. i'm going to start on the canopy this thursday, so i'd like to take wiring into consideration asap. many thanks.

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/viewtopic.php?t=21345&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=30

check out page 4, i described it there quite a while ago. i did get 1 or 2 reports of tripod blocking requests for the pic from that thread... here is an updated link that should work for the meantime, till i get a better free image host http://12598.tripod.com/pot.html

if you are unsure of anything read over the thread, i spent alot of time explaining stuff there, if you have any other questions let me know, i am always happy to help.

I just tried out my cold cathodes over the tank and two things came up that really bug me. first, they are too bright and don't dim down properly (as expected.) second, they are not the right color of blue. i'd like a deep, rich blue and the CCs are a much lighter color blue.

malk - are the LEDs a nice rich blue, or is it a lighter blue like the CCs? i like the color portrayed in your picture, but i have no idea of telling how accurate that is due to camera settings, editing, compression, etc etc.

the photo i posted shows their true color, except that overall they aren't really as bright as the photo makes them look.
I"m familiar with the color of blue cold-cathodes..much more like a neon blue. These LED's are darker, much more like a true blue.

You're right tho, cold cathodes don't dim properly. They're more like a fluorescent bulb in how the operate, and fluoros don't dim worth a darn either.

Here's a link to another photo of these LED's in action: http://www.dark-tweaker.com/mod/lazerled-4.jpg
http://www.caseumbau.de/test113/news.jpg

as far as I know, these are the same blue LED bulbs that others use in DIY, and simliar to the ones in those coralife hoods. Mine just come pre-fab'd in a brick, with a molex end.

that's a relief...i ordered three last night :D . i probably will only use two, but since they were on sale, i figured getting a third won't hurt. thanks for all the info!

Man they look great.. I still do not know if I like the blue or white LED's better. I followed you old directiong and made a 4 led strip blue white blue with and dont' know whatI like better... The white looks nicer but the blue makes the corals look nice too. So I'm still ont he wall with the colors...

a few minutes ago, i got my order of 3 LED kits from Xoxide. they were out of stock when the sale was going on, but they still gave me the sale price. i think the pictures are a bit misleading, but not in a bad way. from malkore's pictures, these looked much larger for some reason, but they only measure about 1.5"x.5". pretty small, but that should be a good thing once i install these on the canopy.

i attached a comparison for an idea of scale and the back of the packaging insert.

here's how they looked. this is plugged into my computer, shining down onto the side panel of the computer case. good color and decent dispersement in such a small package. so far these are a real winner.

How did you get rid of the spotlight effect? I don't have the DIY moonlights so I'm not sure if you even have the spotlight effect, but if you do, how'd you get the lights to shine completely over the tank?

i don't know if there will be a spotlight/highlight effect when these are finally installed. in the second picture, they were only an inch or two away from the surface. in the canopy, they will be about 13" above the water so there is more of a chance for the light to disperse/diffuse.

i'll try and get a picture or two of some test shots tonight.

ok, here's a picture with one of the LED blocks over my new 10gal. i tried to get the picture as accurate as possible, but without a larger apperature, it's difficult. the highlight spots are not as pronounced and the color isn't as accurate. i'll try and get something better....

i just tested two of the blocks over my 85gal...200 kudos to you, malkore. these are perfect. the rays going down into the tank look sweet, the color is great, the ripple effect couldn't be any better, they're small and easy to mount, etc etc. excellent find, i would recommend these to anybody!

wooo! more Kudos for me!

Seriously though, Mr.Burn's photo above is MUCH more like what my tank looks like, only mine's the tiniest bit brighter...but I have 2 of the Lazer LED's.

I don't feel like there's much of a spotlight effect, since the light has to pass through the water which is slightly rippling, and there's a distance of nearly 20" from bulb to sand bed...so it really spreads and diffuses.

Wow. They look great. I can't post a pic because my camera wont focus on it (since there's not enough light).

Looks great, though. Thanks again

Same problem I had boardsurfer...my 4 year old camera didn't take a very good photo, and when I photoshopped it, I ended up increasing light levels.
Glad they worked out for you!

I bought the parts, and within two weeks the LEDs burned out. The supplier says that the power supply is unregulated - it was putting out 18.4 volts. Anyone else have this problem?

My power supply is the one on the web site link you provided. It doesn't look at all like the one in your picture. Have they changed or did you get yours elsewhere?

Back
Top Bottom