DIY moonlights for saltwater tanks

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Did I inspire you to install moonlights?

• Total voters
I reread your post and I see you made your from another power supply. I will give that a shot because the one they sell has burned up three of the light units now.

actually, this adapter is not quite like the one I got. Mine's grey, and has teh AT&T brand on it (I think it's for a cordless phone charger).
I know after I ordered my stuff and posted the topic, everyone who went to xoxide.com couldn't order an adapter cuz they were out. It does indeed sound like they changed over to a different brand which isn't very good.
I'll try to write down any model number on my AC adapter, in case you can find one at radioshack or order one online somewhere.

Sorry for reviving an old post but I wanted to post pics of my moonlight setup.

ccflpolyp.JPG
CCFL
ledpolyp.JPG
LED
ccfltank.JPG
CCFL
ledtank.JPG
LED

I agree that the Blue CCFL (light blue/teal in photos) is definitely not suitable for moonlighting but I'm going to just leave it up there on a switch so I don't have to turn on the VHO's and scare everything in the tank just to check on something.

I'm using one of those $4 LED Lazer bricks (found it in chrome) and it works great over my 55 all on its own. (dark blue in photos) The polyps and anemone actually stay open until the LED's go out.

moonlights.JPG

Oh, and the power supply that powers both the CCFL and LEDs I just stole from an old cordless phone. 12V DC, 200mA.

I keep promising to post the power adapter that I got, since it wasn't the same one they carry now.

its an AT&T model 4000T
input: 120v 60Hz 6w
output: 12v 200ma

I didn't Like how the LED light made like a spotlight and illuminated one spot on the sand very bright similar to the above pics. So I faced my LEDs toward the center of my light fixture and now it just illuminated the whole tank with no bright spots.

You can also try putting a tiny dot of paint on the tip of the bulb, so you lose the spotlight aspect and add a little diffusion.

thelebos.com

I was looking around for moonlighting for my 58gal a few wks ago and I came across http://thelebos.com. He offers everything you would need for a DIY project... Also he has an auto adjusting LunarTracker that works on the same 29.53 day lunar cycle as the moon. The LunarTracker is a little exp but its a cool little item. If you are just looking for a few LEDs and a power supply and you know how to solder then your set. He also sells custom sets that he pre-makes with how ever many LEDs you want, so you do not even need to solder or play with the setup if you are feeling lazy. I recommend him. He ships fast and can't beat his prices. I looked up some of the items he sells on his site and compared them to RadioShack and his are by far better. Cheaper prices for better items...

Once I am finished with my install I will submit a pic...

Shawn

I installed the lunar tracker on my Orbit hood. It works, and makes the environment seem more natural.

It seems to make sense that the lunar lights should be on some sort of dimmer. I know that the moon is very important in the reproduction of some corals.

There are very few low voltage dimmers on the market. Plus, who wants to adjust it daily to match the moon's rotation.
:mrgreen:

Jramatized said:
looks great wish I knew how to do this. I know nothing about wiring

if you search the forum, you will find a ton of threads about moonlights. i am one of the electronical engineers on this forum who try to answer all the questions people come up with.

however please do your best to find the info before posting a question, i have answered the same questions via email, pm, and of the forum hundres of times, and it's a source of aggravation. and what's worse people on google stumble across the threads, then email me about leds, and their cars, computers, etc. sorry for ranting...

but if you need any additional help, that's not covered by this forum, by all means let me know and i will do my best to explain.

I know very little about wiring too...black to black, white to white, green to green, and make sure it's not powered when you do it :)
Yet I've wired power compact ballasts and the moonlights really needed no wiring. Just need to follow instructions.

Good job I don't know much about aquariums (yet!!!!) but I do know a fair amount in electrical and communications and it looks like you did your homework and put it to good use, As for those scared of wiring your own stuff like these L.E.D. these are accualy a very good place for beginers to start low cost and 12 volt D.C. set ups are about the safest place to start, plus when it works it is a heck of a confidence booster. Neccesity is the mother of invention. :idea:

Back
Top Bottom