Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > DIY Projects

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 09-08-2004, 12:59 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist
DIY Moonlites

any suggestions on DIY moonlites? seems to me that this could be one area I could save a little cash. My LFS is charging 50 bucks per led 8O

50 gal
20 g sump
2 "nemo" Clowns
1 regal tang
1 pink spotted goby
40 pds lr
cleaners: 2 cleaner schrimp, 7 blue hermitts
7 scarlett hermitts,2 american star snails
1 brittle serpent star,
20-25 snails
8965 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2004, 01:21 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict
Send a message via AIM to XXFirefighter Send a message via Yahoo to XXFirefighter
try a search for it..
It's amazing what you can find if you look...

Maybe in the DIY section...

XXFirefighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2004, 01:25 PM   #3
AA Team Emeritus
definitely look in our DIY section. A few folks have come up with some solutions.
Acronyms and Abbreviations
BillyZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2004, 01:52 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak
Here ya go. Follow there directions. I mad the following Mods that I made were:

I used 100 Ohm Resistors 6 Watt 300 Mah (Saves you the time of looking of the correct Resistor) Adapter from Radio Shack (If you can find a DC adapter that is in that range it will save you about 15 bucks) I also enclosed the moon lights in 1" filter tube for an aquarium, which you can get at any pet store. I place bottle caps on the end and shrink wrapped them. Make a nice water proof enclosure.

LED 15pcs - 21 Bucks shipped
Adapter - 15 bucks (Look for one around your house)
Resitors 99 Cents (Radio Shack)

CBRGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2004, 03:02 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I just got 2 LED strips 14" long from walmart made for an auto interior. 11.99 ea. 12 LEDS blue (470 nm) ea. 1 - 12 v adapter from my basement. 2.99 for a 5 k pot and knob radio shack. I placed one strip on each side of 125 gal., one inch below water line. (remember they are on the exterior of the tank). Used 4 suction cups with little hooks to hang them (50 cents ea, also walmart. girlfriend came up with this idea!). Pointed the LED array up at 50 degrees from horizontal. The 470 nm light shines thru the acrylic and up to the surface of the water and reflects back down. I found this to give me a great wave movement shimmer thru the tank and I can bounce the light of the surface and get the lighting just right by turning the angle.
That is a grand total 29 dollar investment. 6 wire ends striped, a little spit (for the suction cups) and I am done.
With the dimmer turned all the way up, you can see a blue highlight even with the PC and MH on.
These little LEDs are bright and wide angle.
Hope this helps.
ewisner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2004, 03:05 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Apprentice
PS. The Walmart car LED strips (and have seen them at Meijer) are premade in acrylic tubes with blue end caps with mounting hardware. My GF says they look very nice.
ewisner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2004, 04:32 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict
I bought a 6 LED moonlight setup including power supply from ebay for £15. I really doubt I could've made it any cheaper myself.
My wife and I were happy for twenty years. Then we met.
- Rodney Dangerfield.

Click HERE to vote for Aquarium Advice!
Atari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2004, 04:58 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict
I posted my DIY lights in the DIY section (way down on the main forum) 6 nice blue LED's, plus a wall plug-in adapter, for $22 including shipping. Installed in 5 mins.
Former advisor and planted tank geek...life's moved on though.
malkore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2004, 02:19 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice FINatic
I went to Target and bought these mood lights to do the diy. It's cool because the mood lights come with 3 LEDs and they can be adjusted to point them where you want.

Paintballs look like bubble gum
14G starphire,150W MH+32W act03,AquaClear 150 HOB filter, 75W EboJager, IceProbe chiller, Remora skimmer, closed loop SCWD mag5, auto toper-offer.
klam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2004, 02:25 PM   #10
Moderator Emeritus
There was a link on reefcentral for some nice moonlights. They come in a housing and contain 3 led's. I bought 2 of them for $15 shipped I believe. You can get an adjustable ac/dc plug from parts express for about $3-4.

They put out a lot more light that the 2 CSL moonlights I had. They are very nice.

I can find the link if any are interested.

ellisz is offline   Reply With Quote

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com