DIY moving bed not really moving.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tiger1

Aquarium Advice Regular
image-3139330195.jpg
I made this moving bed filter just because it looked simple enough. It is attached to a DIY sponge filter. I believe the sponge filter is working fine. There is water coming out of the air holes on top of the moving bed. I'm just bit disappointed with the moving bed. I'm thinking about replacing it with a smaller bottle and filling it with biomax. Anybody think that will work?!?!

It is different sizes of cut up straws. It's funny, today, (about 24 hours after I put it in the tank), they are moving freely!! Will this actually work?

image-3691079223.jpg

That is what it should look like when working, and yes it will work, but how well depends on the total amount of bio surface there is. It would probably work better if the pieces were all the same size.

I meant to say that they are different sizes of straws, cut up. I tried to cut the straw length to their diameter. The fat straws are cut a bit longer than the skinny ones. I wouldn't count on it as my main filter, but it was fun to make.

It is. I used straws instead of the k1 media, which was way too hard to get and very expensive. I'm sure k1 would work a lot better.

Back
Top Bottom