DIY Overflow...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BBReef

Aquarium Advice Freak
I've been reading the explanations on building overflows and have started building one myself, but have a few questions. What do you use to drill the holes in the acrylic for the bulk heads? When referring to a 3/4" pipe for the return, is that inner or outer diameter? How do you cut the teeth in the top of the inner box? What diameter should the U tube be in relevance to the drain pipe? Does the size of the box matter, or just the piping?

Sorry for all the questions but i want to make sure i do this right the first time.

Thanks

I'm going to toot my own horn here just once: If you want an easy overflow, check out this thread: http://www.aquariumadvice.com/viewtopic.php?t=13892 total cost was around $7 US.

for your questions... there should be a few threads here on drilling acrylic, refer to those for what to use... references to pipe diameter refer to the inner diameter of the pipe. But you shouldn't have to worry much as, if you go to a hardware store and ask for 3/4" pipe, they'll know what you're looking for.

Folks use dremel tools, table saws, and the less acurate hack saw for cutting the teeth in the overflow.

THe U-tube should be large enough to allow enough siphon to handle your return pumps volume. a 1" U-Tube will handle about 300 gph... I think.

For the teeth in the overflow box you can use a router. if you dont have a router you can use a drill to cut the bottom portion of the tooth and then use a jig saw or table saw or hand saw to cut the verticle parts of the teeth.

1" U tube should be good for 600GPH

OK I finally got the overflow built and ready to go. everything looks and works well, but i cant get the u tube prime. is there a trick to building these. i just made it out of pvc pipe like i saw others do on here. i tried sucking the air out with tubing, but that didnt work well. and when i finally did get going, it lost the prime within like 10 seconds. Any tips on these things? Thanks a lot.

Back
Top Bottom