Diy overflow

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

canyon15

Aquarium Advice Freak
I would like to make my own but not go through acrylic bending if i can avoid it. My thought is that a HOB power filter could be converted to an overflow. Let me know what you think. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

I decided that for a couple $ more i could get one made correctly instead of hoping i would make one right the first time. I didn't have the tools to do it properly and didn't want to buy them for a possible one time use. Thanks for checking to see how i made out. :)

I went the pvc route when I made mine myself. Cost me about $15 in pvc pipe and a little bit of silicon. I figure mine maxed out around 150gph, but it's real easy to upgrade. What kind of price did you find on a premade one? Cheapest overflow box I found was around $50 before shipping.

ebay, expect i keep getting my bids sniped in the last 2 mins of the auction or the auction has inflated shipping rates (more so than normal) and when the auction closes s/h is equal to, or greater than your bid.

That is exactly where i found it but for me up here in the north even with exchange, duty and shipping it is still cheaper than buying it for a canadian store.

i never said it wasn't cheaper than a local LFS, its just not a killer deal that you would come to expect on ebay. its a trend that has been going on for the past 4 yrs, where people are inflating their s/h charges to make more of a profit, and its complete crap, and i hate it.

i would love to get a few sheets of acylic and start mass producing overflow boxes shipped a fair price, and put all those 'turds' out of business on ebay.

Been tempted to do that myself Jprox. If it weren't for the cost of the electric motors, I could probably put a hurting on several filter manufacturers too. They'd win because of volume discounts on the electric stuff that I know I couldn't afford to buy hundreds or thousands of. It's just irksome to see a slightly bigger item go for 15 to 20 dollars more, when you know all they did was add 2 cents worth of plastic it.

you know i am alright with the big 3 making a profit on filters, i mean if you do your shopping you can find them for 20-30 bucks, or go to walmart and get the same filter (under a generic name) for 60% of the orginal price. the filters are injected or blow molded, which requires having those vaccum plastic molding devices on hand which must cost a pretty penny, to install and mantain

i just get urked by arcylic devices retailing for so much, when all they do is glue together little sheets of plastic. looks at what this turd is asking for.. http://cgi.ebay.com/Adjustable-U-Tu...yZ117435QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

There is a prime example of someone jacking up the shipping to hopefully insure they make a profit. That just gets to me.

Back
Top Bottom