DIY overflow and sump pics

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
looking great man!

you did a nice job bending the plexi on your overflow - how'd you do it?

keep us updated :)

ttyl
Gordon

definite bravo on the overflow! You do have to tell us how you bent the plexiglass for it... :)

well what we did was mark the acrylic on both sides with a dry erase marker and heat the interior side to fairly hot with a torch, then put a 2x6 where we wanted the bend and flipped it all over and heated the side super hot that was going to be stretched. worked well except my dad got the torch a little close to my fingers a couple of times :wink: lol It actually worked a lot easier than i thought.

i am adding a picture of the beginning of my tank room. there are 8 10 inch bois d'arc posts 48" apart. there will be 48" added on the close end but only using 6"x6" posts. the double window will be removed and the tank will sit in that space so it can be viewed while eating. the single window will be left there except we are going to take the outside storm window off. that is my bdroom. i will be able to see the tank 24/7 then. :p

this last weekend we put up the walls, roofing, and flooring. we used 1 1/8" plywood for the walls and floor. 6" worth of R-19 insulation all the way around. there are 4 circuits going to the room from the breaker box.

i am going to try and find a thermostatically controlled window unit to control the temp in that small of a room. gonna try and keep it 80-82 degrees year round.

torch as in Propane blow torch? I'm really impressed there's no scorching/buring of the plexiglass.

sounds like the room is going to be very cool! Keep us updated!!

Great job !
You can also use those heated blower paint stripper ... the nice thing about them is that you can rent them so little cost and no open flame !

great stuff!

only might add, sort of a "nit pick" would be, cram something between your overflow box and the tank wall to make the box more level... should help your drains operate more efficiently and quietly

ya i was using one of the sprayers that you can put on your shower that has the long hoses with two of the siphons on and it could not keep up with them so im hoping i will be able to move a lot of water
that is a good idea maybe some shims or i have some leftover acrylic and i could just use small spots of silicon to hold em in place. dang i forgot to take pics of my room..
well we got it sealed in dry and put in the ac/heating unit. still trying to find siding that matches the house though. i guess since it was built 53 years ago they dont make it anymore :( oh well. i promis i will get pics over the holiday though
thanks for all the help and responses

so a little tape and bedding and we put the tank in the old window hole

few more pics

the last one is my brother looking for his golf ball lol had to add it for a good laugh. :bandit: needless to say i wont that game by 10 strokes

all pics were taken with my cell phone so please no comments on back pics :wink:

Back
Top Bottom