Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > DIY Projects
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 06-13-2011, 09:25 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Lightbulb DIY overflow and sump with a twist. will it work??

right guys, first post on here and its gonna b a interesting 1.

first off my tank is a 28 gallon nano with a few frags in atm. basicly im gonna build a pvc overflow pipe, ive done loads of research into that and thats not the problem. now im just wandering as im running a canister filter at the moment and im trying to do this on the cheap. would it be possiable to have the overflow run to the sump then the original intake from the canister filter taking water in from the sump then pumpin it back to the tank. i already know that the canister filer pump is powerful enough to get the water back to the pump?

its a origional idea (well i havent seen anything like it on forums or vieos on youtube) just wandering peoples thoughts.

thanks. stu.

Old 06-14-2011, 12:01 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Regular

Make sense to me... matter of fact I wish I thought of it. I think you would still have to clean out the canister weekly... or if you just empty the media out.... I'm interseted. Let's see what other's think

Old 06-14-2011, 12:08 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

It would most likely work, the only problem I would see is that either the canister would pump out all the water out of sump because the overflow doesn't pump out fast enough, or the sump would overflow because the overflow pumps in water faster than the canister can pump out.
Old 06-14-2011, 03:27 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice FINatic

That problem would have to taken into considerarion when selecting the diameter of the overflow tubing wouldnt it? So the flow in equals the return flow.

Youtube Channel: http://youtu.be/sj0bVYblrZI
andresdeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 03:36 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

It would also depend on how powerful the pump is I would think.
Old 06-14-2011, 04:36 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Oxi do you have a tentative design drawn?

Youtube Channel: http://youtu.be/sj0bVYblrZI
andresdeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 05:28 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

This sounds like it could work, just as mentioned above your overflow would have to match the gph/power of your canister so the water is coming in and going out at the same rate.

A problem I do see is what if the pump or canister cuts out? Either the sump will overflow or the canister will run dry, both of which are not good things to have happen
Old 06-14-2011, 05:40 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

iDream I didn't even think of what would happen if one would cut out. Good catch.
Old 06-15-2011, 04:20 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Newbie

ill try and get some plans together when i get time but i cant see the overflow failing because it will be 1 that keeps syphon even when the power goes out

YouTube - ‪Nano Lagoon (DIY Overflow)‬‏

this isnt me but its what i plan on building.

it will only work when the water is above the overflow level. so if the power goes out the canister filter will stop and the water will only overflow untill it goes below the intake pipe.

Another advantage i thought of is that with the canister filter having a mechanism in it which makes it easy to remove the input and output tubes without loosing all the water out of it ( kind of like the fluval 205,305,405) then it will prevent a back syphon if the power does decide to stop.

again ill try n get pics n plans up n see what you all think. thanks for the comments tho.
Old 06-16-2011, 08:18 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Newbie

this is a quick design of what it will look like when done. only basic cos im no expert on paint. oh and i no the overflow pipe is just 1 downpipe on my diagram but please relate to the video to see what it'll actually look like. all the other tubes are just basic single lengths of silocone hose.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	sump canister filter basic deign.jpg
Views:	191
Size:	18.8 KB
ID:	40646  

Tags
diy, flow, oveflow, overflow, pvc, sump

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com