Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > DIY Projects

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 02-01-2011, 02:22 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular
Send a message via AIM to skratchiechan
diy overflow gph?

so I'm making a u tube style overflow

and was wondering how much water is going thru this box? if any of you guys/gals made this overflow box before...

I wanna make sure I get the right return pump for it

skratchiechan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 02:40 AM   #2
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award
Moved to the DIY forum.

melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 12:52 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict
cant say for sure but hazard a guess at max of 500-600gph,you'd need the compare with a manufactured one using 3/4 tube.I wouldn't bother with the holes either,too easy to get blocked just cut slots,how much will this cost to build compared to buy,eshopps are good.what are you going to use as the u tube.plus the nipple on the top I wouldn't trust.On mine to start off syphon I just push some air line up the tube and sucked out the air,any left in there should be forced out with the flow.I did this when first installed months ago.I also wouldn't bother with the 3/4 barb fitting just go larger( 1 1/2"pipe and bends)that way if you want to up the flow just add another u tube
Old Chinese proverb:
Don't go to bed with ichy bum
wake up with smelly finger!!
David S is offline   Reply With Quote

diy, flow, gph, overflow

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com