Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > DIY Projects
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-23-2009, 06:56 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via AIM to nanoluvr
DIY overflow Pic, and questions

I saw this thread, and am going to build it in the next week for my buddy's 58 gal. Looks like it works good for the author of the thread I got it from, and way cheaper than the $100 + overflows from retailers!

Thw water gos in through the little slots on the top...it's sitting sideways in the pic, lol, and it has a little check valve in the top.
Supposed to not lose syphon in power outage.

Does anyone have any recomendations on a float switch that will can be installed in the sum,p to prevent overflow? And also, any suggestions on wiring it up?

Old 02-23-2009, 07:38 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak

no info on the check valve... BUT....

I made that exact Overflow and it's currently on my tank. I had a bunch of issues with it losing siphon. It actually overflowed my DT 2 times. Thankfully, I was in the room and was able to kill the pumps before too much water got on the floor.

Not sure why, but AIR gets into my piping and breaks the siphon. I ended up buy an AquaLifter for $10 and connecting it to the Check Valve. Now it works fine. Anytime Air gets into the tubing, the lifter sucks it right back out. And I'm protected if power loss as the Aqualifter starts the siphon again when power is restored.

Last thing.. Instead of doing the slots for the water to enter, I installed a threaded elbow instead and bought a 3/4in threaded strainer from MarineDepot for $3.

Old 02-23-2009, 09:40 PM   #3
AA Team Emeritus

What I found with DIY overflows is that there will always be entrained air when you skim the water off near the top. The air will clear the siphon if the water flows fast enough. <This is true of commercial overflows as well. So in the wier type overflow, where the velocity is low, you need a venturi pump to remove air bubbles.>

In my overflow, at 750gph nominal, I got air trapping in the siphons when I have 2 1" siphons. <The water level difference between the inner box & outer box was 1/4 to 1/2" - very little driving pressure so fairly low velocity flow.> When I removed one of the siphons, the driving pressure increased to 1" or so. The flow through the single siphon was much increased, and that flushed out any air bubbles that got trapped & I have had no siphon breaks since. .... *touch wood*
Old 02-24-2009, 09:14 AM   #4
SW 20 & Over Club

Send a message via ICQ to ccCapt
I'm all for DIY, but not in the case of a overflow. IMO, you are much better off buying 1. You can get an 800 gph overflow box, which is plenty for a 58g tank, for $57.

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/produc...8&pcatid=18358
Check out The build project
ccCapt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 11:53 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccCapt View Post
I'm all for DIY, but not in the case of a overflow. IMO, you are much better off buying 1. You can get an 800 gph overflow box, which is plenty for a 58g tank, for $57.

Reef Aquarium Filtration: Eshopps Overflow Boxes
With all the issues I've had, I'll have to agree with you on this.

I have a question about those ESHOPS overflows... I really like the DUAL model and may buy it. I notice they do NOT have to be hooked up to a Aqualifter or any Venturi type pump. Will I be able to sleep at night as is or would I look to incorporate a pump into the siphon just to be safe?
Old 02-24-2009, 11:55 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:

Reef Aquarium Filtration: Eshopps Overflow Boxes
Interesting... any reason why DIY on the overflow is no good, IYO?
Old 02-24-2009, 11:57 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Freak

Capt, ...I was also wondering...with the Eshopps OF box, is the siphon broken when power goes out (to prevent flooding), and then regained again when power returns?
Old 02-24-2009, 12:35 PM   #8
SW 20 & Over Club

Send a message via ICQ to ccCapt
Quote:
Interesting... any reason why DIY on the overflow is no good, IYO?
Because I have yet to see 1 that is reliable and that I would trust using.
Quote:
is the siphon broken when power goes out (to prevent flooding), and then regained again when power returns?
The siphon DOES NOT get broken when power goes out. I used a HOB overflow for over 15 years and it never once failed. I have total faith in them. The U-tube style does not require an aqaulifter pump like the CPR style overflows.
Check out The build project
ccCapt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 01:35 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Freak

[quote=ccCapt;957849] The siphon DOES NOT get broken when power goes out.

Pardon my ignorance, lol. All 3 of my reef tanks are nano (20 and smaller), sans sump, so overflows haven't been necessary. If the siphon is not broken during an outage, does water keep going into the sump? If so, how do you keep it from flooding if the return pump doesn't have power? Or do you mean the syphon isn't broken as far as when the power is off, flow stops, and when it comes back on, flow returns?
Old 02-24-2009, 01:58 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Freak

[quote=nanoluvr;957876]
Quote:
The siphon DOES NOT get broken when power goes out.

Pardon my ignorance, lol. All 3 of my reef tanks are nano (20 and smaller), sans sump, so overflows haven't been necessary. If the siphon is not broken during an outage, does water keep going into the sump? If so, how do you keep it from flooding if the return pump doesn't have power? Or do you mean the syphon isn't broken as far as when the power is off, flow stops, and when it comes back on, flow returns?
Yep.. How it works is the Overflow actually has 2 boxes. One sits inside the tank and the other sits outside. The inside box will always be filling up with water as it is under the waterline. The U-Tube transfers the water from the inside to the outside boxes where the bulkhead is and it drains down to the sump. However, when the pumps are off, the tank will only drain until the water level is even/below the inside box.

Once it reaches that level, the water can't enter the inside Box anymore, and the flow stops. However, the U-Tube remains filled with water or "primed" and once the pumps start filling the DT again the water overflows into the inside box and the siphon starts up again.

Tags
diy, flow, overflow, pic

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com