DIY Pine hood and CFL lighting

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

andresdeo

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Latest proyect for my new RCS 10 gal tank. Pine hood with room for 3 CFL bullbs, up to 42 watts each, although I will probably go with 27 watt bulbs at first and see how it goes.

Aluminum interior and painted black on the outside to match stand. Will the installing the CFL sockets as soon as paint is dry. So hope full it will be done with this afternoon.

Attachments

• image-2597958763.jpg
    image-2597958763.jpg
    135.4 KB · Views: 133
  • image-1706792651.jpg
    image-1706792651.jpg
    127 KB · Views: 118
  • image-2481825928.jpg
    image-2481825928.jpg
    193.3 KB · Views: 141
  • image-2244482004.jpg
    image-2244482004.jpg
    120.7 KB · Views: 151
  • image-2114523219.jpg
    image-2114523219.jpg
    114.2 KB · Views: 149
I just wanna say that the aluminum foil is a good idea but it doesnt work that great. If you paint the inside white you will get better results

I guess I should give some reasoning behind this but to the best of my knowledge, the aluminum is a horrible reflector and scatters the wavelength in too many directions. The white gives a steady wavelength

The aluminum is fine as long as it has separate reflectors for each bulb. It will cause the bulbs to interfere with each other's lighting if they shine at each other. Reflector dividers is always the best, but the white ones prevail for sure. Full reflection

Sent from my HTC One using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Great job on the build, btw I love showing off my DIY hoods to friends

Sent from my HTC One using Aquarium Advice mobile app

If you really want to do it properly, get some mirrors mounted in there in a V shape over the lights. The white, aluminum foil, and other methods are sub par at best.

It looks nice though, how easy is it going to be be to get in the tank and do work?

For now it'll have to do, but when I have some spare time I might see into upgrading to the Mirror idea. Thanks for all the input. Getting into the tank is easy, the hood is light so I just take it off completely, to feed I just raise it slightly.

I just had a thought about this a moment ago. But where is there room for air flow? I think you will need to cut out part of the back to allow for air circulation so you don't suffocate your fish.

There is an inch and a half gap between the top rear of the tank and the back of the hood, to allow wiring and CO2 tubes to come out. Will post a photo when I get back home on sunday.

There is an inch and a half gap between the top rear of the tank and the back of the hood, to allow wiring and CO2 tubes to come out. Will post a photo when I get back home on sunday.

An inch and a half is not very much at all. Especially when there is CO2 involved. The degassing CO2 will fill the canopy due to lack of air flow causing a complete lack of air exchange. You will really need to keep an eye out on your fish for any potential issues. I would honestly look at adding a computer fan for more air flow if you don't want to cut the opening any larger.

No fish in the tank either just 14 RCS so not not a massive O2 consumption, do you still think it would be necesary?

Back
Top Bottom