DIY plant weights?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sati

Aquarium Advice Addict
Does anybody have any ideas for DIY plant anchors? I don't feel like going out to buy something, but am also short on brilliant solutions ATM. Thanks :)

Here is what I did in my 10 gallon. Works surprisingly well :)

I cut the bottom off a plastic water bottle. Then I punched a hole in the center of that and cut a slit extending like a radii from the center.

Then I carefully placed that around the bottom of the plant and then when I throw the gravel on top of it it sinks!

You could also take some lead weights (which are not good for the tank "naked"), and cover them with silicon. That way the lead won't get to your water and you'll be fine.

How bad are they? Some had them preattached from the store last night and I buried them with it on still.

They can be toxic to fish, just like lead can be toxic to us humans. So you better take them out of the water. Nearly all places where they grwo plants use them, although they don't have them together with fishes in the same tank, just with other plants.

I could imagine they are exspecially toxic for freshwater shrimps.

Most plants should develop roots by themselves after a while though, also stem plants. Therefore I always just dig a hole with my finger, place the stalks in there, and close the hole with some gravel, which I press down some to give the plants some halt.

So far I didn't have any uprooted plants, that just float around all the time.

Yes they are or at least the used to be. I think a lot what is called lead or used to be made of lead is an alloy now or replaced with other metals that are less toxic.

Hoover, do you have a picture? The ones I have on right now are flexible grayish silverish bands about a half inch wide that are flexible. I am not sure if you can tell by that if it is zinc or not.

The plant tank at Big Al's had a few fish in it, but I am not sure if those fish were deemed feeder fish and they didnt care if it was toxic or not.

I really hope mine are zinc :)

I believe we're talking about the same thing, mrzap. My only suggestion is to get some fishing weights and compare weight. Lead is heavier and more ductile than zinc.

Back
Top Bottom