Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > DIY Projects
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 06-10-2012, 03:59 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

DIY plants for a fraction of the cost

all my raw materials, i pick up plants at michaels, make sure to choose the plastic ones.
then what i do is cut out all the wire at the bottomof the plant, and what i am left with is many different lengths of plants that i can mix and match. I've been making them this way for about 20 years, so i figured i would share. After the finished product, i soak them in a bucket for a week as a final test, then it's off to the DT.

add gravel to bottom of water bottle, it's just for weight

add your silicone (aquarium safe)

top it off with your current substrate, i have sand in my tanks so i use that

here is my final product, i just finished this batch so i'm waiting 48 hrs to dry, then they go in bucket and soak for 7 days. if water is clear, off they go into the tank.

Old 06-11-2012, 05:30 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Activist

Wow never thought of this might try it

Old 06-11-2012, 10:43 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

just remember, NO WIRE.
if you get a plant with a wire, just cut it where the plastic seems firm, there is usually a little bulge, this is where the wire meets the plastic, quick snip and your done.

wire usually is at thebase of the plant, snip it then take all the branches off where the wire is located, you can use all those filler branches for any gaps you might have
Old 06-13-2012, 11:20 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak

then i put my plants in my QT for a few days to soak, there is no water discoloration so we are good to go, next they get added to DT.

Old 06-13-2012, 12:26 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

I love these! Very pretty and I will have to try this. I'm always looking for good diy projects for my tank
Thanks!
Old 06-13-2012, 04:39 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Regular

Love these! I have wondered about using plants from a craft store, so I'm glad I read this post about removing the wires. Great post, thanks!
Old 06-13-2012, 04:40 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

Cool! Looks great
Can we have a pic of a tank with these?
Old 06-13-2012, 04:45 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Freak

sure thing, i'm currently soaking them for 24 more hrs, i leave them in the 20 gal for a few days just to make sure, you can never be too careful.
If no water discoloration then it's off to the DT

i'll see about posting those pics up this weekend

*****edit******
i wanted a little more weight, so after i removed the plant from the water bottle, i covered the base with silicone and dipped the base into a bag of gravel, sort of like adding sprinkles to an ice cream cone. This helped double the weight of the base. if you are happy with the size of your base, you do not have to do this extra step.
Old 06-13-2012, 05:03 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by billberet

*****edit******
i wanted a little more weight, so after i removed the rocky base from the water bottle, i covered the base with silicone and dipped the base into a bag of gravel, sort of like adding sprinkles to an ice cream cone. This helped double the weight of the base. if you are happy with the size of your base, you do not have to do this extra step.
I just had a thought, what if in the set up of the rocky base you put a stainless steel washer in the bottom and put more rock on it to hide the washer? And then silicone it all together. It won't rust and will add the extra weight that you may need.
Old 06-13-2012, 05:11 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Freak

i try to keep anything metal out of my tanks. including stainless steel.
depending on the grade of the stainless, it does not mean it is rust proof.
i've seen stainless steel screws rust away under water if they are not of the highest grade.

what you can do, what i am doing now, i have alot of rocks i have collected over the years as my decor changes. i am breaking down those rocks, drilling a hole and using that for my next DIY, so you have plants growing out of the rocks. fill hole with silicone and stuff with plants. it's so simple, it's silly, lol

Tags
diy, plant, plants

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com