DIY Plywood aquarium question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tikitikin

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Well I'm making plans to build my own plywood aquarium just had a few questions about the build. This will be my first aquarium build but I do have experience in reptile cages. First, what should I use to waterproof the aquarium. I've consider rubberizeit liquid rubber, pond liner, and epoxy. If you have any other ideas I'm open to them but i will say I really don't want to pay big $$$ when i can go buy a tank for the same price as the sealant. Second question is about glass thickness, is glass thickness the same as a all glass tank or is it different and how should i reinforce it?:confused:

You may want to take a look at fingerlakesreef.com. It is a small web site for upstate NY or something, but they have a LOT of plywood builds. I don't think anyone has posted on that site for close to a year, but like I said, a lot of good info.

What size tank are you looking at? Personally I don't see the point of a plywood tank for less than 500g or so. The cost for a good one really doesn't make since for smaller tanks.

As for sealing, I would go with some kind of epoxy myself.

There are glass thickness calculators out there. It should be the same as an all-glass tank and just depends on how deep you want to go and how long of a piece you are talking about.

Back
Top Bottom