Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > DIY Projects
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 11-04-2008, 02:47 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Regular

well you can just use the one tall one put some power heads in the tank and have them flow across the bottom. dont have an issue in either of my tanks with debris on the bottom

Old 11-04-2008, 03:12 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatGuy619 View Post
well you can just use the one tall one put some power heads in the tank and have them flow across the bottom. dont have an issue in either of my tanks with debris on the bottom
how big are they? does the debris float up and then skim over the top?

Old 11-04-2008, 03:23 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Regular

i just bought 4 power heads from walmart. yes they just float up and for whats left over my sand bed (fw turtle tank) takes care of the rest as far as breaking it down. i also have 2x fluval fx5 on the tank too
Old 11-04-2008, 04:59 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatGuy619 View Post
i just bought 4 power heads from walmart. yes they just float up and for whats left over my sand bed (fw turtle tank) takes care of the rest as far as breaking it down. i also have 2x fluval fx5 on the tank too
any pics or anything? i've seen your name around here (been lurking for awhile) but dont recall seeing anything. I'd love to see what you did.
Old 11-04-2008, 05:36 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Regular

no pictures yet my camera is broken dropped it in my lr tank go figure huh. still in my cube build process
Old 11-04-2008, 05:38 PM   #16
AA Team Emeritus

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Your design is sound.

The overflowing part (getting it to drain into the sump) is done by the pump that is pushing water from the sump back into the tank. A 1" PVC pipe will handle about 600gph. The key is to match your pump to the plumbing you use. This is the same basic principle as in any SW tank. My tank for instance has dual overflows that handle 1000gph each. I have 3 return pumps that allow for just under 2000gph return so my overflows can handle the water flow.

Since you are doing a plywood tank you can easily accomidate any amount of flow you want. BTW the short pipe is a bad idea. If your pump fails or the power goes out your tank will drain down to that level. You want your overflow pipes to be plumbed all the way to the top of the tank.

I've read a great thread of a plywood tank that I will look for for you. The guy built the "box" and then extended a coast to coast overflow all the way across the back of the tank so there was no piping inside the tank itself. By doing something like this you will get maximum surface skimming and excellent flow.
Ziggy953 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008, 06:25 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy953 View Post
Your design is sound.

The overflowing part (getting it to drain into the sump) is done by the pump that is pushing water from the sump back into the tank. A 1" PVC pipe will handle about 600gph. The key is to match your pump to the plumbing you use. This is the same basic principle as in any SW tank. My tank for instance has dual overflows that handle 1000gph each. I have 3 return pumps that allow for just under 2000gph return so my overflows can handle the water flow.

Since you are doing a plywood tank you can easily accomidate any amount of flow you want. BTW the short pipe is a bad idea. If your pump fails or the power goes out your tank will drain down to that level. You want your overflow pipes to be plumbed all the way to the top of the tank.

I've read a great thread of a plywood tank that I will look for for you. The guy built the "box" and then extended a coast to coast overflow all the way across the back of the tank so there was no piping inside the tank itself. By doing something like this you will get maximum surface skimming and excellent flow.
i'm excited to see you taking an interest in my cry for help Ziggy. thank you for that.

I think I'm ditching the idea of the plumbing popping down through the bottom, and since i'm building the tank, i'll incorporate a built in overflow compartment out of site complete with a top and bottom intake.

My idea would be to extend the tank 6 inches from left to right (the new six inches being the overflow and filtration), pop a wood divider in there that goes the entire length from back to front of the tank.
Add a notch with teeth on the top for a skimmer, and a notch with screen on the bottom for bottom debris.
Then compartmentalize the new 6 inch section off with baffles (for lack of a better word) with the compartments having prefilters and other cleaning items before finally having a standpipe or 2 take it down to the sump.

No need for syphons. Does this make sense or am I missing something. It can't be this simple...
Old 11-05-2008, 12:10 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice Regular

the reason fo the sump is for all the filtration to go there. its going to be a pita to clean al the pre filters you want to make. its going to make a nitrifying factory there. i would do a coast to coast and have all your filtration in the sump.
Old 11-05-2008, 01:51 PM   #19

So you think ditch the prefilter ideas? I dont really see how it would be hard to clean the prefilters. I was just thinking some sponges and screens and whatever else would fit that would help keep it clean.

I drew up two plans, just to make sure I have your opinion correct. The top was somewhat my idea. The sizes are all wrong and the prefilter compartments would be bigger allowing me to fit my hands in there from the top, but you get the idea. Blue is water, and when looking from the side, the blue shows the spillways into the OF.

Then just to make sure i got yours right, i drew it up w/ o the prefilters or baffles etc. Am i on the right track?

You said coast to coast though. Do you think that's more beneficial? The reason I dont really like the whole back idea is because on a tank of this size, thats one BIIIIG OverFlow compartment. Overkill really. I dont have to extend the OF all the way to the bottom of the tank, but then I kill my idea of taking water/debris from the bottom easier.

Am I close or way off?

btw, I really REALLY appreciate your guys help and just general knowledge of this. Anything you offer is great and truly appreciated. I'm treating this conversation as just some good old fashioned dialogue, as if we were brainstorming in a pub somewhere. So if it feels like I'm demanding advice, or not willing to help myself, I assure you, that is not the case. I'm enjoying this conversation and if you get bored with it, I have NO problems with that.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	mysystem2.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	36.2 KB
ID:	15994  
Old 11-05-2008, 02:09 PM   #20
Aquarium Advice Regular

well you second design is pretty good. i would not use the prefilters in there as the clog up fast and slowing you overflow and now your pump is draining your sump into the tank. then you get water everywhere. as for the sump you can put a filter sock there. i would have 2 that way it makes for easy changing. and you can just wash those in the washing machine w/o soap. on hot.

Tags
diy, filtration, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com