DIY Pond Snail Trap

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I dunno, I found a site that says to use 50ppm ammonia(no additives)for a week and do hefty water changes, said it wont kill the bacteria at all but will nuke everything else in the tank....

The assasin snails didn't help? I had 5 and they cleared out problably 1000 mts. End the end they did just disapear, but I haven't seen any MTS either so don't know what is up with that...

<--- uses ghost shrimp for snail control.

They only go after the pond snails, they leave the MTS alone. They are kinda vicious with their prey. ;)

Never heard of the ghost shrimp/pond snail one..

Anyways, you could try a small loach.. skunk or a border loach

Never heard of the ghost shrimp/pond snail one..

Anyways, you could try a small loach.. skunk or a border loach

They stand on the snail, reach their lil claws into the shell and rip the snail out. Then the rest of the gang jumps the snail. Vicious but interesting. It definitely helps keep the population in check.

GS's wont make it to the bottom of the tank. Ive spent a good 30 bucks before I figured it out.

Skunks I hear dont always eat them and borders are not in LFS's stock nor can they get them around here.
im checking cichlid exchange now, thanks.

Pond snails got into my tank a while ago from water lettuce I got from a friend's pond. My plants are really starting to die now so I should give this a shot!

Found the solution to my problem. however the problem solver is a known fish eater as well. I recently adopted a red ear slider and while today cleaning her tank out, I tossed her in the feeder fish tank that is loaded with pond snails and mts alike. well I havnt seen a single snail since she was in there for 2 hours today, all I can find are old dead shells from sometime before today.
I am wondering if smaller red ear sliders would be ok to use for this, the only issue is finding very small red ear sliders.

Back
Top Bottom