diy powerhead filter

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

hockeydude15

Aquarium Advice Activist
im not getting any replies from cichlid forum so im turning to the pros at AA.

So I just ordered a Profile powerhead 602 in which pushes 200 gph and is for tanks 30-150 gal. I want to make the powerhead flter pretty much the same as the one in the article at cichlid- forum
( http://www.cichlid-forum.com/articles/diy_powerhead_filter.php )

but im not sure if the powerhead would be strong enough to prefilter my 55 gal. Im not trying to make it my main filter but i just want to get my tank running .

Another thing is my lfs sells a white diy filter foam. could i put this around the outside instead of the "batter" . and how mush charcoal do i put inside?? Also are there any alternatives to charcoal??

yea, a 200 GPH PH would be plenty of draw for that kind of filter (nifty lill DIY filter too btw)

the filter foam would work, but the "batting" (not batter) is likely going to be much cheaper at a fabric store. (likely a couple dollars for 3 square feet)

I would probably only put about 1-2 tablespoons of charcoal in there. I would see about finding a way to bag the charcoal, such as a filter media bag. Just scooping it in loose could lead to charcoal dust in the tank as the charcoal moves around in your filter cup.

Back
Top Bottom