Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > DIY Projects
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 12-13-2011, 12:38 AM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict

Haha. I feel you, I'm a poor student myself.

I have looked into riparium-specific stuff, but I went with siliconing ceramic pots to the side. I'm only filling it half way, so it works. I am nowhere near finished though!

I would imagine some plastic hook would suffice. Like those plastic hooks that are on the three-pack of socks? Do you know what I mean?

Old 12-13-2011, 12:40 AM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict

Like this thing:

Just cut it so it fits better and glue it to the back of the basket?

Old 12-13-2011, 06:35 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCrazyFishLady View Post
Like this thing:

Just cut it so it fits better and glue it to the back of the basket?
Oh thank you for the image
Yes this is easy and I think I have one. I will definitely play around with it! Brilliant idea.
I wonder if AC Moore sells suction cups? Those will probably be useful as some point too.
Old 12-13-2011, 07:15 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice FINatic

If they dont you can always buy some cleaning ítem to hang for the bathroom or kitchen and just cut it off.

Youtube Channel: http://youtu.be/sj0bVYblrZI
andresdeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 04:40 AM   #15
Aquarium Advice Addict

So how has everything gone for you so far?

I've been moving at a snail's pace! I just today bought more rocks for my riparium. And my gecko died, so I don't have a rush anymore to work on my viv... next Repticon isn't until the end of January.

But, I have crocheted two animals! I made the cutest beaver and a rather awful fish. haha. Working on a giraffe currently. I feel like a grandma and a child all at the same time.
Old 12-19-2011, 08:56 AM   #16
AA Team Emeritus

Moved to the DIY section.

As far as securing your hanging baskets, I would recommend suction cups. You can usually buy a bag of them for a few bucks at Walmart or even a dollar store.
Old 12-19-2011, 10:59 AM   #17
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by meegosh
Moved to the DIY section.

As far as securing your hanging baskets, I would recommend suction cups. You can usually buy a bag of them for a few bucks at Walmart or even a dollar store.
Thanks!

I just bought suction cups at the craft store. Yay!

I tried making a box a few days ago! Siliconing it together was a bad idea. I need to try sewing it together (i hate sewing), but i only have cotton thread! maybe if i sew it and silicone on top of it, the box may hold together even after the cotton thread disintegrates?

I'm also poking around for things to do with my crazy floating chunks of java moss. Considering finding more rocks to make pretty, discrete caves that match my existing rock decor.

I feel like there's tons i can do, but i just don't know what to do!

Fishlady, i hear you about crocheting! I think knitting makes me look more like an old lady, and I found crocheting to be more dynamic and fun anyway.
Are you by any chance using the Lion Brand pattern for a giraffe amigurumi? That was my first crocheted piece, and i think it was one of the cutest amigurumis i have made as of yet. I recommend you try that pattern!
Old 12-19-2011, 11:48 AM   #18
AA Team Emeritus

Got any fishing line laying around? It works good for tying things that will be underwater. You can do a lot with java moss. Moss walls, moss rocks, moss coconut caves etc. There are plenty of examples if you google them.
Old 12-19-2011, 03:24 PM   #19
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by meegosh
Got any fishing line laying around? It works good for tying things that will be underwater. You can do a lot with java moss. Moss walls, moss rocks, moss coconut caves etc. There are plenty of examples if you google them.
No fishing line unfortunately, just cotton thread. I considered a java moss wall but from what I've read it seems like more of a bother than anything else. It would be great for my fry tank though.

Tags
diy, diy project

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com