Diy projects for winter break

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

gabysapha

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Winter break starts for me in 5 hours (i am thrilled)!

Not sure if I'll get hits on this thread, but worth asking.

Are there suggestions for DIY projects/craft projects I may want to consider over the break?
I have only nano-small/medium planted tanks. I think my first task will be to construct baskets to hold up my nonsubmergible plants out of the water, such as my peace lily and vines.

If you have any projects youve done that you enjoyed please share ;)

I thought for your "baskets" is you could make pots out of carved styrofoam and coat them in concrete or better would be sikatop. They should still be buoyant and would appear as a floating rock.

I've been thinking about a DIY pond, which would have to be really small pond wise since I live in an apartment. Do you have the space?

No im in a tiny apartment too!! Share ideas with me ;) my apartment is small, dark, and fully carpeted. Eww. Hence I have several very small tanks. Saving space is my motto. I also save on electricity by using low to no light throughout the day.

Aquariums are not for the budget restricted, I've found ;)

Could the mods please move my thread to the diy forum? I just realized i posted in the wrong place! Thank you

How about, having two tanks connected. Ever heard of open bottom tanks? Check out my threads on the topic, that way you can have a bigger system, without having one big tank.

I'm fixing up a new tank for my gecko, a silicon/great stuff background with driftwood and potted plants all along the back wall. I'm also going to do a riparium for my pearl fighter. And I guessing stocking my 36g back up.

I'm going to try to learn how to crochet. I got this kit from Barnes and Noble that shows you how to make crochet fish! I hope I can make a lizard too.

I'm fixing up a new tank for my gecko, a silicon/great stuff background with driftwood and potted plants all along the back wall. I'm also going to do a riparium for my pearl fighter. And I guessing stocking my 36g back up.

I'm going to try to learn how to crochet. I got this kit from Barnes and Noble that shows you how to make crochet fish! I hope I can make a lizard too.

That sounds fantastic! Update on your progress :)

As for open bottom tanks, yes I have seen those and I think they are extremely intimidating! Will research.

Thank you! I'm going to be doing a similar thing for my riparium as you are doing with your baskets. Did you buy specific ones or are you constructing them yourself?

Nooo given my student budget and textbooks to buy in January, my only resource for materials is AC Moore ;) I know there's a guy named Hygrophyte that makes great riparium equipment in case you haven't looked there.

Another forum member gave me the cheapest idea so far: tie plastic cross-stitch canvas together into a basket! Very easy too ;) I'm not sure how to hang such baskets thought to keep the foliage out of the water. I imagine something like an over-the-door coat hanger, just over-the-tank plant basket....?

Actually, my thread should be titled: Poor, Cheap, Space-limited Student's Winter Break Project: How Many Things Can You Make Using AC Moore Supplies?

:(

Haha. I feel you, I'm a poor student myself.

I have looked into riparium-specific stuff, but I went with siliconing ceramic pots to the side. I'm only filling it half way, so it works. I am nowhere near finished though!

I would imagine some plastic hook would suffice. Like those plastic hooks that are on the three-pack of socks? Do you know what I mean?

Like this thing:
emporio_armani_2_pack_socks_in_black.jpg

Just cut it so it fits better and glue it to the back of the basket?

Like this thing:
emporio_armani_2_pack_socks_in_black.jpg

Just cut it so it fits better and glue it to the back of the basket?

Oh thank you for the image ;)
Yes this is easy and I think I have one. I will definitely play around with it! Brilliant idea.
I wonder if AC Moore sells suction cups? Those will probably be useful as some point too.

If they dont you can always buy some cleaning ítem to hang for the bathroom or kitchen and just cut it off.

So how has everything gone for you so far?

I've been moving at a snail's pace! I just today bought more rocks for my riparium. And my gecko died, so I don't have a rush anymore to work on my viv... next Repticon isn't until the end of January.

But, I have crocheted two animals! I made the cutest beaver and a rather awful fish. haha. Working on a giraffe currently. I feel like a grandma and a child all at the same time.

Moved to the DIY section.

As far as securing your hanging baskets, I would recommend suction cups. You can usually buy a bag of them for a few bucks at Walmart or even a dollar store.

meegosh said:
Moved to the DIY section.

As far as securing your hanging baskets, I would recommend suction cups. You can usually buy a bag of them for a few bucks at Walmart or even a dollar store.

Thanks!

I just bought suction cups at the craft store. Yay!

I tried making a box a few days ago! Siliconing it together was a bad idea. I need to try sewing it together (i hate sewing), but i only have cotton thread! :( maybe if i sew it and silicone on top of it, the box may hold together even after the cotton thread disintegrates?

I'm also poking around for things to do with my crazy floating chunks of java moss. Considering finding more rocks to make pretty, discrete caves that match my existing rock decor.

I feel like there's tons i can do, but i just don't know what to do!

Fishlady, i hear you about crocheting! I think knitting makes me look more like an old lady, and I found crocheting to be more dynamic and fun anyway.
Are you by any chance using the Lion Brand pattern for a giraffe amigurumi? That was my first crocheted piece, and i think it was one of the cutest amigurumis i have made as of yet. I recommend you try that pattern!

Got any fishing line laying around? It works good for tying things that will be underwater. You can do a lot with java moss. Moss walls, moss rocks, moss coconut caves etc. There are plenty of examples if you google them.

meegosh said:
Got any fishing line laying around? It works good for tying things that will be underwater. You can do a lot with java moss. Moss walls, moss rocks, moss coconut caves etc. There are plenty of examples if you google them.

No fishing line unfortunately, just cotton thread. I considered a java moss wall but from what I've read it seems like more of a bother than anything else. It would be great for my fry tank though.

Back
Top Bottom