Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > DIY Projects
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-10-2009, 07:04 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to partypalooza5 Send a message via Yahoo to partypalooza5
DIY protein skimmer

I looked at the skimmers at the LFS and nomatter how much engineering or design went into making them, I don't think I'm wanting to pay 200 bucks or more for an empty acrylic tube, some fittings, and a pump. So I think I'll DIY it!

I already have the pump and air injector figured out. The only thing I'm stuck on is what to use as the reactor chamber. I know there are people that have used PVC but there has to be something else! Anyone have any ideas? I was kind of thinking something like a soda bottle, or some kind of Tupperware container thing.

If I had the tools, I'd make one out of all acrylic. But I don't so I guess it's improvising time.

partypalooza5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 08:53 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

DIY Protein Skimmer from PVC (DIY FILTER PROJECTS) lol hope this helps. Just google "diy protein skimmer" and you will get a bunch of designs.

Like someone's post? Show some appreciation with the reputation button!
thominil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 09:10 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to partypalooza5 Send a message via Yahoo to partypalooza5
Thanks. I've been googeling (if that's a word O_o) for an hour or so and I see a lot of PVC designs. I know I'll end up just buying one but I'll make one till I have the money to buy one.

Old 08-11-2009, 05:12 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

I think I may be on to something.. It is KIND of like the AquaC type of skimmer with a mixing tower and a box on the bottom.. Defiantly not going to be as effective but might as well make something!

Basically, I have a Quiet One 1200 and a venturi that injects bubbly water into an empty carbon container. I plan to drill a hole in the lid to fit a water bottle (foam rising chamber I guess?) I have no real way of testing it though... I don't even have salt in the tank yet xD.

Old 08-11-2009, 05:23 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Activist

acrylic tubes are readily available for purchase online as well.

BTW a quality skimmer for your 75G shouldn't run you more than 130-150. You want to go knock off, 60-80. Even the knockoffs have some limited value due to the pacific rim areas knowledge of copying (some would say stealing).

IMO buy the skimmer and build yourself a denitrator. BEST thing going.. When you do it right, using a recirc design, nitrates in... ZERO out.

But then again Lowes/HD/etc don't make gazillions from contractors. There's a lesson there somewhere I think.

All proffered in a IMO, non offensive, nicey nice posting..............IMO
Old 08-11-2009, 06:19 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by CementShoes View Post
acrylic tubes are readily available for purchase online as well.

BTW a quality skimmer for your 75G shouldn't run you more than 130-150. You want to go knock off, 60-80. Even the knockoffs have some limited value due to the pacific rim areas knowledge of copying (some would say stealing).

IMO buy the skimmer and build yourself a denitrator. BEST thing going.. When you do it right, using a recirc design, nitrates in... ZERO out.

But then again Lowes/HD/etc don't make gazillions from contractors. There's a lesson there somewhere I think.

All proffered in a IMO, non offensive, nicey nice posting..............IMO
Yea I'm planning on buying a REAL skimmer eventually. (probably after christmas)

Do you have a link to where I can find out more about a denitrator? Sounds intresting.

Old 08-11-2009, 06:47 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Activist

Give me till tomorrow.. I have to hit up a friend of mine from another forum. I'll PM you the link.
Old 09-06-2009, 09:50 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

Update to anyone that possibly cares:

Just made myself a skimmer, can't tell if its working yet because theres nothing in the tank LOL.

The only problem is that there is a massive amount of micro bubbles that come out. I'm going to try putting an elbow in but that will be a challange. (the chamber is an apple juice bottle LOL)

Old 09-06-2009, 11:19 PM   #9
Aquarium Free - 2+ Years

POTM Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by partypalooza5 View Post
(the chamber is an apple juice bottle LOL)

very cool lol

"What, exactly, is the internet? Basically it is a global network exchanging digitized data in such a way that any computer, anywhere, that is equipped with a device called a 'modem', can make a noise like a duck choking on a kazoo." - Dave Barry
mfdrookie516 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009, 06:25 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

Alrighty. Here's some pics of what it looks like. I need to do a few more adjustments but from what I've seen so far, it pulls out some gunk.

Tags
diy, protein, protein skimmer, skimmer

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com