DIY protein skimmer

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

partypalooza5

Aquarium Advice Addict
I looked at the skimmers at the LFS and nomatter how much engineering or design went into making them, I don't think I'm wanting to pay 200 bucks or more for an empty acrylic tube, some fittings, and a pump. So I think I'll DIY it!

I already have the pump and air injector figured out. The only thing I'm stuck on is what to use as the reactor chamber. I know there are people that have used PVC but there has to be something else! Anyone have any ideas? I was kind of thinking something like a soda bottle, or some kind of Tupperware container thing.

If I had the tools, I'd make one out of all acrylic. But I don't so I guess it's improvising time.

Thanks. I've been googeling (if that's a word o_O) for an hour or so and I see a lot of PVC designs. I know I'll end up just buying one but I'll make one till I have the money to buy one.

I think I may be on to something.. It is KIND of like the AquaC type of skimmer with a mixing tower and a box on the bottom.. Defiantly not going to be as effective but might as well make something!

Basically, I have a Quiet One 1200 and a venturi that injects bubbly water into an empty carbon container. I plan to drill a hole in the lid to fit a water bottle (foam rising chamber I guess?) I have no real way of testing it though... I don't even have salt in the tank yet xD.

acrylic tubes are readily available for purchase online as well.

BTW a quality skimmer for your 75G shouldn't run you more than 130-150. You want to go knock off, 60-80. Even the knockoffs have some limited value due to the pacific rim areas knowledge of copying (some would say stealing).

IMO buy the skimmer and build yourself a denitrator. BEST thing going.. When you do it right, using a recirc design, nitrates in... ZERO out.

But then again Lowes/HD/etc don't make gazillions from contractors. There's a lesson there somewhere I think.

All proffered in a IMO, non offensive, nicey nice posting..............IMO

acrylic tubes are readily available for purchase online as well.

BTW a quality skimmer for your 75G shouldn't run you more than 130-150. You want to go knock off, 60-80. Even the knockoffs have some limited value due to the pacific rim areas knowledge of copying (some would say stealing).

IMO buy the skimmer and build yourself a denitrator. BEST thing going.. When you do it right, using a recirc design, nitrates in... ZERO out.

But then again Lowes/HD/etc don't make gazillions from contractors. There's a lesson there somewhere I think.

All proffered in a IMO, non offensive, nicey nice posting..............IMO

Yea I'm planning on buying a REAL skimmer eventually. (probably after christmas)

Do you have a link to where I can find out more about a denitrator? Sounds intresting.

Give me till tomorrow.. I have to hit up a friend of mine from another forum. I'll PM you the link.

Update to anyone that possibly cares:

Just made myself a skimmer, can't tell if its working yet because theres nothing in the tank LOL.

The only problem is that there is a massive amount of micro bubbles that come out. I'm going to try putting an elbow in but that will be a challange. (the chamber is an apple juice bottle LOL)

Alrighty. Here's some pics of what it looks like. I need to do a few more adjustments but from what I've seen so far, it pulls out some gunk.

img_1027805_0_d98e696e3ef8a93370300618891c027b.jpg

img_1027805_1_ad30c78b1499f7fb8cf364959d05f556.jpg

img_1027805_2_8f941c369e665e487dacf2c49103ae1e.jpg

img_1027805_3_a6d50edd6c924c8076d3535fdc32233b.jpg

I'm working on a collection cup. Can't really test the entire thing till the tank has stuff in it lol.

Looks pretty good. Just wondering, was this your mighty flower power thinking, or did you just steal design from internet?

:silly:

Hm.. I have a feeling "flower pot" was meant to be a joke, but I don't know what it means.. :confused:

HAHA

well basically, my brother was drinking out of the apple juice bottle (hes the only one that drinks it) and i was like "hmm that looks like a good reactor chamber" so i dremeled it and ta-da! skimmer! :D

I would like to see a vid of that in action to see if it actually works! Would be pretty cool!!

If I can figure out how to get video working on my camera, I'll make a video.

It produces a ton of bubbles, and it skimmed off alot of the sediment from the sand, but not enough to make it effective (for particles of sand lol)

I got a few pics of the bubbly-ness..

Not sure if its see-able lol

img_1030053_0_991c94ee1a8f2aac00a60592b769fedd.jpg

From what I'm seeing, I should have installed a bubble trap D;

img_1030053_1_a6a0f626e07ee9d3da7b25eaa8b25fd2.jpg

img_1030053_2_d37f16d9d02df2cf3168bf5343077a90.jpg

Back
Top Bottom