DIY Protein Skimmer????

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Punkroc701

Aquarium Advice Activist
So I am new to the whole salt water aquarium thing and I am building my own as much as possible (I like to build stuff :cool:) and I found these plans for a DIY Protein Skimmer Reef Workshop - DIY Protien Skimmer. For the most part the construction is self explanitory of the main skimmer, but I am not familiar with what he means by a High(er) pressure pump is. As well as where, or how to hook it to this thing when I am finished. I am only building a 26 gallon aquarium so I am thinking this is way more then I need for this build (a larger aquarium may follow this one if all goes well with it). Do you think this is to much for a 26 gallon, or should I go one Ebay or a LFS to get a $50 one? Any help is welcome.

Chris

So you do weekly water changes on salt tanks? Like I said I'm still new, have only had freashwater tanks. Thanks again.

Yup, water changes are basically the same as freshwater, you just need the salt. Temp. match the water in a bucket or rubbermaid container and mix salt up in that container with a powerhead for an hour or two, and you are good to go. Add freshwater when the water level gets low from evaporation. Once you get started, you'll get the hang of it fast.

Ok I thought you ment complete change the water completely. Adding water I understand. So am I right in saying when you get the salt added all you do is add water with evaporation and the only time you have to add salt again is if the density checker says the salt is low? Is that right?

Err...no, when water evaporates, you need to replace it with freshwater, each week, you need to take water out of the tank, and replace it with temp. and SG matched water.

Yeah thats basically what I was saying. I was thinking that since I am gonna be using a sump filter I could add the water to that but the SG is that like the dinsity of the water? Like use a water gage (can't remeber what they are called) to measure the salt to water ratio? I think I am understanding what your saying and thinking the same thing just not wording it like you have is all.

Ahh, ok, misread your post the wrong way, sorry about that. What you are referring to is the hydrometer, which is inaccurate. Get a refractometer instead, a little more expensive, but worth the money. SG is specific gravity. Adding water to the sump is fine.

Let the salt mix aerate overnight with a power head before using it for a partial water change (10% -20% weekly). Freshly mixed SW has not quite stabilized. Most folks say to let it mix for 24 hours before uisng it, but I find that it's stablizied (pH) and no longer caustic after 12 hours.

So mix it 24 hours prior to a water change (roughly)? I have been mixing it the day I do the change. I measure salinity of my tank before adding it, Measure what I add, measure after I add and a few hours later I do it again just to make sure it is safe and for an extra I measure it again the day after.

Yes to mixing it the day BEFORE you use it. Measure SG and Temp before use of both the tank and the pwc to make sure they match.

Back
Top Bottom