DIY PVC Caves--Glue Advice!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

animallover09

Aquarium Advice Activist
I've been having trouble with my cichlids fighting and I have been thinking of ways to add in more "caves" for them so they can have more territories. Putting more rocks or cichlid stones is sort of out of my budget right now.

So I thought about this idea and was wondering if anyone has tried this before. My husband is a plumber and usually has extra PVC pipes laying around. So I thought I could get him to cut me some in small tubes (say 3 or 4 inches in length) of different diameters. Then I was thinking of gluing them together in a stacking sort. But I didn't want my tank to look like there was PVC everywhere so I thought I could glue extra pool filter sand (which is what the aquarium has in it) to the pipes. But to do this, I would need like a spray kind of glue to spray and then coat the pipes in the sand. That way the pipes would look natural and it wouldn't look so much like PVC pipes.

Does anyone know what kind of glue is aquarium safe but also in a spray can?

7bbr.jpg

Yes!!!!! Thats what I had pictured in my head! Please tell me what kind of glue you used.

Sent from my GT-P5210 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I did something similar and used the sand substrate on some and gravel substrate on others to match the tanks they were going into. I used pure aquarium silicone. Basically I squirted it onto the pvc and smeared it around with my hand inside a plastic sandwich bag. I painted them with similar color Krylon paint first so any color showing through would not be obvious.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1392080342.508407.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1392080362.839447.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1392080390.759751.jpg

That is sooo cool! Thanks for sharing! I didnt think to paint them. Does lowes or home depot sell that aquarium glue? Ive never had to buy any.

Petco, Petsmart, local fish store carry aquarium silicone. If at Lowes or Home Depot you should be safe with GE Silicone 1 window & door. It's the only silicone there without mold inhibitors that could harm your fish.

Ok, ill look that up. Thanks again! I wish there was a spray kind but ill use a zip lock bag like you did.

I used silicone but it was messy. It tacky and when the sand is on it will want to remove section. I did one pipe and that was enough for me. Maybe you will have better luck at it.

Wondering if pvc cement will work

I also think silicon will be your best bet. Keep in mind with most cichlids however that adding caves really doesn't give them more territories. It gives those being chased more places to hide, but territories are based on areas in most cases, not available caves.

Ok, well thats the issue with my cichlids. They are fighting and my LFS suggested I get more decorations or caves. And I didnt want to pay for those rocks that are so expensive. My husbands going to try to do this project for me tonight and ill post photos if i can. I researched using pvc cement glue and I think it is safe. My husband said it comes in a spray can form so we may try that.

Well, on a sad note, I learned my lesson with using silicone. Apparently, my husband used the wrong one and poisoned all of my fish. Very upsetting.

We used GE Silicone 2 for windows and doors. I researched and thought that it was safe. But apparently not. 2 of my cichlids are still hanging on but they don't look like they will live long. I'm kicking myself for not researching that stuff thoroughly. But I was in such a hurry to get in some more hiding spots because a couple of my fish were so stressed from being picked on that they were starting to float.

Not happy....

I did something similar and used the sand substrate on some and gravel substrate on others to match the tanks they were going into. I used pure aquarium silicone. Basically I squirted it onto the pvc and smeared it around with my hand inside a plastic sandwich bag. I painted them with similar color Krylon paint first so any color showing through would not be obvious.

View attachment 221944View attachment 221945View attachment 221946

Is that Krylon paint aquarium safe? I would like to do the same

Back
Top Bottom