DIY PVC or ABS Aquarium Cave

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

barterking85

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hey everyone just built a cave from PVC pipe and aquarium gravel it was kinda fun and i like the look of it. Very cost efficient if you have some aquarium silicon and extra gravel around. Here is a link if you want to try it:

Make Your Own DIY Aquarium Cave From PVC Pipe (DIY DECORATION PROJECTS)

My cave is on my album if you want to have a look not complete yet but i will take another picture once Ive placed it in my tank.

ABS is aquarium-safe. I'm pretty sure Penguin filters are made of ABS.

really cuz when i went to buy plumbing for my tank i asked about the ABS pipes and they said that they dont recommend it for drinking water so it probably wouldnt be safe for fish tank either

Did they say why they don't recommend it for drinking water? Building codes limit it to DWV use in most places, but I haven't figured out exactly why. I know here in Cook County, PVC isn't allowed for drinking water, only DWV. We have to use copper or galvanized iron pipe for potable water. My dad, a plumber, says it's because copper or iron pipe will last longer than plastic water pipe. The plastic fatigues under constant water pressure.

ISDH: Pre-approved Exterior Water and Sewer Piping - Indiana lists ABS pipe as acceptable for potable water.

ABS and PVC DWV Pipe and Fittings - Charlotte Pipe and Foundry lists ABS pipe as non-toxic.

Hey everyone just built a cave from PVC pipe and aquarium gravel it was kinda fun and i like the look of it. Very cost efficient if you have some aquarium silicon and extra gravel around. Here is a link if you want to try it:

Make Your Own DIY Aquarium Cave From PVC Pipe (DIY DECORATION PROJECTS)

My cave is on my album if you want to have a look not complete yet but i will take another picture once Ive placed it in my tank.

Just read the DIY article: COOL CAVE! It definitely gives me some ideas for future mods in my tanks! Thanks for the info!

Just about any bulkhead fitting on a reef ready tank is ABS. It absolutely is safe.

iam a carpenter from canada its just cause our building codes are so strict both are perfectly fine for water they just need a good wash first i have a pvc in one tank and abs in the other no problems

I talked with my dad last night and he said PVC is preferred over ABS for building because it's self-extinguishing, meaning it can't burn without a secondary fuel source. ABS will keep burning if ignited.

That was the explanation for why ABS isn't allowed in building codes.

Aquarium fires happen more than you might think, especially on the saltwater side of things. Look at the lights people with reef tanks use.

Back
Top Bottom