DIY PVC Sump Help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bshenanagins

Aquarium Advice Addict
The debating is over, I'm building a 55 gallon sump for my 135 slider/sunfish tank. Problem is, I do not know how to even start. I've been reading about the size piping and GPH rating for both input and output and I'm getting confused to say the least. My tank is not drilled and I want to know the best way to go about this to create a fail safe sump without drilling. I know many are successful doing this so if anyone can point me to a build thread or give me any step by step info I would really appreciate it.

I can tell you that I have a 1.5" overflow on my 120 and it seems to do fine. The pump is a deep blue triton 5 which I think around 1200gph (I forget what it is at ~4' head) All of my tanks are drilled though so I don't have any recommendation about an external overflow or whatever they are called.

I have a 135g tank with a 40g sump. I built a DIY 1.50" overflow and my return is 1" with a mag950 return pump. About 4' of head.

image-1384885775.jpg

The white one is only 1". After doing research it wasn't going to be enough flow so I ended up redoing with 1.50". Also I use an aqua lifter so siphon is never broken.

I use a CPR 90 overflow on my 75g with a 9.5 mag return with a aqua lift pump so I never lose siphon I have about 9' of head my sumps in my basement and a 1" return and drain so far so good

thanks i'm actually acquiring a drilled 210 very soon and selling the 135

Back
Top Bottom