Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > DIY Projects
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-23-2012, 03:59 AM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to Alyxx Send a message via Skype™ to Alyxx
Quote:
Originally Posted by gorbin
Having the benefit of owning my home I plumbed a length of hose behind my 55 and have it go through the floor then out through the basement wall. I just insert the end into my tank and go out side to start the siphon.

Couple minutes later I remove that hose and use the hot and cold lines I plumbed in behind the tank to top it off directly (after adding some prime).

lazy, I know, but my wife likes the fact that I am not lugging sloshing buckets of water through the house.
It may be lazy, but at the same time it is awesome. I wish I could do something like that.

Old 02-23-2012, 08:22 AM   #12
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Well, change of plans. The fam' purchased a 25' Lee's for me as a gift. I still need another 25' extension (which I will DIY) and an adapter for the service sink faucet. I guess I'll change my DIY project into a semi-DIY project/product review.

Old 02-24-2012, 05:08 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Labenator65000
Well, change of plans. The fam' purchased a 25' Lee's for me as a gift. I still need another 25' extension (which I will DIY) and an adapter for the service sink faucet. I guess I'll change my DIY project into a semi-DIY project/product review.
OK, perhaps a silly question, but I need advice from someone who has done this. My gravel vac has the adapters to attach to a standard fawcet. Well, my tank is in the basement, and I use the service sink to to the job. The problem is that the service faucet has no aerator, and the spigot is larger with outside threads. I'll need to stop at the hardware store and get an adapter. I would REALLY prefer NOT to have to take several trips back and forth to the hardware store until I find the right adapter. I'll take the vac with me, but I have no idea how to measure the fawcet spigot to know what size of adapter to get. Holding up a ruler, it looks to have about 3/4", maybe 13/16" outside diameter (outside of the thread to outside of the thread). I do not have a caliper or a thread pitch guage.

Are these spogits standard sized (that would be very cool)?
Old 02-24-2012, 05:27 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice FINatic

That might be a normal garden hose thread. Do you have a hose to see if that fits? If it does, the garden dept might have combo adapter to shutoff or barbed fitting etc to give you a range of DIY options.
Old 02-25-2012, 01:22 AM   #15
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Well, my pseudo-DIY vac-kit extension went well and works better than expected. A 50% PWC and vac on my 55 used to take me about an hour. Now it takes me under 20 mins! The tubing (1/2" clear, like for a water softener drain tube), tube coupler, 2 hose clamps, and non-standard faucet spigot adapter adapter ran me about $30. I think the kit was $50, but I believe you can get them for less online. I am very pleased with the outcome.
Old 02-25-2012, 01:42 AM   #16
Aquarium Advice Activist

Congrats on on your pseudo- diy. I really wonder if I would be as diligent as I am on the water changes if it werent for my water changer.
Old 02-26-2012, 12:04 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I'm going to tweak my coupler to be a bit more snug. The hoses are tight, and I'd need to use some type of lubricant to get the coupler al the way in the hoses. Is dish soap safe if I rinse thoroughly afterward?
Old 02-26-2012, 12:35 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Stay away from soap! Vaseline will work for you.
Old 02-26-2012, 01:14 PM   #19
Aquarium Advice Addict

i'd just use a little bit of spit.
Old 02-26-2012, 08:42 PM   #20
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slade
Stay away from soap! Vaseline will work for you.
Good tip. Just a touch helped. I used a blow-dryer to heat up and soften the tubing. That really did the trick! They butted up tight. I tighten on hose clamps. Done and done!

Tags
diy, python

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com