DIY Python

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Labenator65000

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I really hate hauling the 5 gallon bucket across the room several times once per week. It takes about an hour for a simple PWC. I'd love a python, but I would need to get a 50 footer and those are rather costly. Has anyone ever made a DIY python? I'm interested in cost, effort, lessons-learned, and effectiveness. ~Thanks

Labenator65000 said:
I really hate hauling the 5 gallon bucket across the room several times once per week. It takes about an hour for a simple PWC. I'd love a python, but I would need to get a 50 footer and those are rather costly. Has anyone ever made a DIY python? I'm interested in cost, effort, lessons-learned, and effectiveness. ~Thanks

Anyone? Otherwise I guess I'll cowboy one myself.

I made one using a waterbed filler valve. The valve was cheap and broke often. Although not cheap I found the python and similar aqueon hold up better to what I put them through. I have yet to have to replace any parts on these so I justify the cost. One option is to get a short one and then get extra hose from a hardware store. Just make sure the hose is the same diameter inside AND out.

Personally for the time and headache of trying to make one I would just buy a used one any length from Kijiji or Craigslist then hit Home Depot for the longer hose. The hose is much cheaper at HD than at your LFS and does the same job. I use the HD stuff on all my filters and water changing.

I made one and it works great, its not very hard either, you can get the faucet adapter online for 4 bucks, i got clear vinyl hose at lowes for 1/2" inside diameter i think it was 31 cents a foot, thew hose adapter for it was 2 bucks, just make sure to use the same size hose that your current gravel vac has and just use that with your new setup.

Having the benefit of owning my home I plumbed a length of hose behind my 55 and have it go through the floor then out through the basement wall. I just insert the end into my tank and go out side to start the siphon.

Couple minutes later I remove that hose and use the hot and cold lines I plumbed in behind the tank to top it off directly (after adding some prime).

lazy, I know, but my wife likes the fact that I am not lugging sloshing buckets of water through the house.

@original poster

Seems expensive either way but, at least, if you diy you can potentially end up with a solid hose with quality fittings instead of the cheap crap at the lfs

Good idea. I'm going to have to make one. Everytime I think I'll buy one, I pick it up and am immediately cooled by the cheap feel of it.

Please post any progress if you start one.

gorbin said:
Having the benefit of owning my home I plumbed a length of hose behind my 55 and have it go through the floor then out through the basement wall. I just insert the end into my tank and go out side to start the siphon.

Couple minutes later I remove that hose and use the hot and cold lines I plumbed in behind the tank to top it off directly (after adding some prime).

lazy, I know, but my wife likes the fact that I am not lugging sloshing buckets of water through the house.

It may be lazy, but at the same time it is awesome. I wish I could do something like that.

Well, change of plans. The fam' purchased a 25' Lee's for me as a gift. I still need another 25' extension (which I will DIY) and an adapter for the service sink faucet. I guess I'll change my DIY project into a semi-DIY project/product review.

Labenator65000 said:
Well, change of plans. The fam' purchased a 25' Lee's for me as a gift. I still need another 25' extension (which I will DIY) and an adapter for the service sink faucet. I guess I'll change my DIY project into a semi-DIY project/product review.

OK, perhaps a silly question, but I need advice from someone who has done this. My gravel vac has the adapters to attach to a standard fawcet. Well, my tank is in the basement, and I use the service sink to to the job. The problem is that the service faucet has no aerator, and the spigot is larger with outside threads. I'll need to stop at the hardware store and get an adapter. I would REALLY prefer NOT to have to take several trips back and forth to the hardware store until I find the right adapter. I'll take the vac with me, but I have no idea how to measure the fawcet spigot to know what size of adapter to get. Holding up a ruler, it looks to have about 3/4", maybe 13/16" outside diameter (outside of the thread to outside of the thread). I do not have a caliper or a thread pitch guage.

Are these spogits standard sized (that would be very cool)?

That might be a normal garden hose thread. Do you have a hose to see if that fits? If it does, the garden dept might have combo adapter to shutoff or barbed fitting etc to give you a range of DIY options.

Well, my pseudo-DIY vac-kit extension went well and works better than expected. A 50% PWC and vac on my 55 used to take me about an hour. Now it takes me under 20 mins! The tubing (1/2" clear, like for a water softener drain tube), tube coupler, 2 hose clamps, and non-standard faucet spigot adapter adapter ran me about $30. I think the kit was $50, but I believe you can get them for less online. I am very pleased with the outcome.

Congrats on on your pseudo- diy. I really wonder if I would be as diligent as I am on the water changes if it werent for my water changer.

I'm going to tweak my coupler to be a bit more snug. The hoses are tight, and I'd need to use some type of lubricant to get the coupler al the way in the hoses. Is dish soap safe if I rinse thoroughly afterward?

Slade said:
Stay away from soap! Vaseline will work for you.

Good tip. Just a touch helped. I used a blow-dryer to heat up and soften the tubing. That really did the trick! They butted up tight. I tighten on hose clamps. Done and done!

Back
Top Bottom