DIY reactor. Phosphate or Carbon?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Beej1254

Aquarium Advice FINatic
How do you all feel about this design? I'll be using this in sump probably. ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1437877266.237340.jpg

Sorry more detail on this now..my son wanted to have a lightsaber dual.

I am basing this off of UrauJoey's video for a reactor. I couldn't find anything close to what he used for a container but walking through W-mart I ran across a Rubbermaid tea bottle. I like this bottle because it seems to be very sturdy and has 2 openings in the top.

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1437878135.212469.jpg

These openings in the top are a perfect fit for 3/4 pvc or cpvc pipe to be snug inside. I actually had to run hot water on the Rubbermaid top to fit the pipe in. The lid on this container is also just a snap on but it appears to be very strong. I hope it'll hold. I'll be adding media holders either tonight or tomorrow and drilling a couple holes in the cpvc inside so water can enter.

All in all I'm very excited about this build so far. it's only cost me $15 and I already have a pump.

Please any comments for improvements are welcome!

here it is in action! seems to be working WONDERFULLY. water has no choice but to move up through the carbon. I put carbon into the reactor because I couldn't find a phosphate remover at my LFS that I wanted to try. once I'm more confident this won't explode or leak under pressure it will move outside of the sump.

ok so I'm really surprised at how well this is working. although I will only be running it periodically because I heard it's not good for fish to be exposed to carbon for long periods of time. my water is so clear that it looks like it's not there

Back
Top Bottom