DIY resources for sump

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bassetbros

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
do you guys know of any good books or other resources on building a sump?

I don't have a drilled tank...is it more difficult or less effecient to use a sump with an undrilled tank?

Thanks and God Bless,
Basset

Sumps/fuges seem to be the best case scenario for a FOWLR or reef setup. I've got a few things I'm not quite sure about:

1. What about mechanical filtration? There were no "filters" that I'm accustomed to seeing in my HOB filtration so how does the sump take the gunk from the aquarium and remove it from the system?

2. The Bio-Rocker and the trickle filters on the market: are they designed to be used inside the sump or as the sump?

I'm sorry if these questions seem rather elementary...I'm just a cichlid guy trying to understand this beneficial and efficient type of saltwater filtration.

Good protein skimmer is needed for the mechanical filtration. A Bio-Rocker or other trickle filter is for turning ammonia into nitrites and then into nitrates. I beleive they can be used inside or as the sump depending on the design. Water changes, live rock, and fuges are all good ways to deal with the nitrates.

You'll need a HOB overflow to use the undrilled tank with a sump. I've never used on but some complain of the risk of flooding while others say they have never had a problem. Otherwise the sump works the same under it as a drilled tank.

HTH
Stephen

Back
Top Bottom