DIY Rock Cave Grotto

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Labenator65000 said:
So last night I stepped back and took a look at the project overall, and was not really happy with the main structure. It was rather misshapen, and was getting too bulky and heavy. So I removed the instant cave off of it and took the main structure apart, keeping the original cave in tact. Meh, this is my first rock formation, so I'll allow myself some mistakes and re-dos. Boy just a little of that silicone is really quite strong. I used an X-Acto knife to cut it apart. I may need to use a wire brush to clean up old silicone.

So now, repurposed the original smaller cave (because it had a floor), and attached it to the two instant caves that I just created a couple of days ago. It's not quite "back to the drawing board" but it is back to a very basic foundation.

Honestly, I may just keep it simple and not build it up too much more. I may add a few more rocks in the corners to round it all up and make it look like a unit.

Thank God for dremels! The old joints cleaned up good as new.

+1 They are awesome.

I have a Dremel Multi-Max too....If you don't look into getting one...

I'm getting jealous, I can't even get to rock work yet still figuring out logistics...

Too many tanks not enough Room....:banghead:

Below is the finished project. Now I just need to wait 48 hours before rinsing and adding to my tank.
image-3048140772.jpg
I sort of took the long way around to this project.
Lessons learned: Don't plan a large rock-work project using small stones. It just does not look right. However, I bet with larger stones, and a larger container, this method could be used to make larger formations. However, I'm not sure how well the silicone will work with heavier stones. It sure does work well with lighter stones. Strong and flexible at the same time.

Here is the smaller one with no added decor. One went into it right after I took these pics.
image-208892998.jpg
image-3065439302.jpg
image-3816715112.jpg
The stacked unit is soaking in water with Prime right now.

Nice! Looks really good. I plan to start very soon.

Ok here are my final picture posts. Below is the stacked project, and the whole tank.
image-1221685561.jpgimage-2628597409.jpgimage-3193544773.jpg
The Mbuna dig it.

Lessons learned:
-The clear sealant shows up a very visible cloudy white. For dark stones I would use dark sealant.
-Try to keep the seams behind (not under) the structure. I can see the seams underneath.

All in all, I am satisfied with the project.

Wow,

It looks even better in the tank...Good job!

Wow these caves look great! I'm keen to do something like this in my tank.
Really like the pictures showing them in the tank, they look fantastic!
Will have to head off to the river next weekend and grab some stones.

Back
Top Bottom